Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Padding under aquarium base?

Bette

Reaction score
So, I am about to set up a 55 gallon tank, and I want to find some type of (preferably black colored) foam padding to put between the top of the stand and the base of the aquarium.
The stand I have is a very sturdy steel, but I noticed when I put the tank on it, there is a small gap in the middle area. I want to make sure that the tank is fully supported all around the edges of the base.
Does anyone have any ideas about what I can use? I've thought of using felt or foam furniture foot pads, but I think it would be better to go with a material that comes in sheets that can be cut into strips or something. Ideas? :confused:

catgardener

Reaction score
I have also used camping mats from the 99p store under my tank and have had no problems.

Bette

Reaction score
I'm not sure how easy they are to find where you are, but I used camping mats under my fish tanks on my metal racks. They are quite dense foam, but they are easy to cut to size with a Stanley knife. Like these: Amazon.com: Equinox Hood Pad (3/8 x 20 x 72-Inch): Sports & Outdoors But mine cost me 99p from a local bargain shop lol

So today at the local hardware store I found weather stripping which is "super firm closed cell sponge-rubber", and it looks like it might just fit the bill. And it has the adhesive backing which is even better. The metal tank stand I have does not have a solid top, instead it has about a 3 inch wide frame with cross bracing. So the weather stripping I can use around the edges(double it up if I need to).
Sammy, the mat you suggested is also closed cell sponge/foam - and what a great idea! I think that I will use that under one of my other tanks....and if this other stuff doesn't work, I'll get one of those mats and just cut it in strips.
:happy:

Last edited:

Loobylou

Reaction score
My rack doesn't have a solid top either, I ended up getting some wood cut for each tank and stuck the mat to the top with double sided tape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!