Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blip and Einstein

wandering

Reaction score
Discovered how to attach photos so you're all in for it now!
My two are now in a two foot tank while I set up their permanent place. But that hasn't stopped me from buying tatt to go in their tank. A hide each; matching heart covered oil burners. They also have the obligatory clump of java moss that they've had for ages, a 'no fishing' sign that came with an ebay tank, a pretty shell for the water chemistry aaaand... Da Daaaa..... really cool looking platforms for lounging about near the top. These were in B&M Bargains for 99p (big one) and 69p (smaller version) they are really bathroom caddies but they are ideal because they have suckers to hold them on. just put in upside down. This is where Einstein showed his true colours by going up inside and not being able to work out how to get out! But they mostly hang out on top of them now (I bought just one to start and found that they both wanted to be up there). They do come down for worms though :happy:

Attachments

• 2013-03-16 19.34.32.jpg
    2013-03-16 19.34.32.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 241
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 263

layna

Reaction score
Do the bathroom caddies have suckers to stick them to the tank? They are so cool!

wandering

Reaction score
Yes. They are just perfect.
I go shopping for boring things like food and come back with presents for my axies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I recently saw a short video where someone filled caddies like that with substrate (mesh to cover the holes), and poked a bunch of moss in the holes. His were at the surface, but you could put yours down a bit and plant emergent vegetation in them. Bamboo, sagittaria, dwarf rushes, etc. would look cool.

wandering

Reaction score
Unfortunately the suckers won't hold much weight; tried a sock full of gravel and it slipped down to the bottom but maybe it could be suspended from the top. Hmmm.......

pondweed

Reaction score
Kaysie, is there a definitive list of plants that are safe for Axolotl tanks? I know I've browsed a post somewhere, and there weren't very many plants, and I thought: there's got to be more than that. (It didn't help that the plants I saw in the pet shop weren't NAMED.)

I have to admit, half of what is getting me so excited is the thought of decorating a tank and taking photos and drawing/painting the Axolotl. Such are the trappings of being a visual arts student...

Well, not actually PAINTING the Axolotl, painting pictures of— that's a terrible joke. I apologise.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with axolotls and plants is a matter of finding plants that are low-light and tolerant of cooler temps. Any plants that are safe for fish and meet those standards should be fine.

wandering

Reaction score
Well there I was. Gradually over the last few weeks I've been getting all my fish tanks out to the fish room in the garage. Tonight I have several hours to myself so decided to devote it to moving my axolotls' (Blip and Einstein) tank so that I can put some fish there under the light instead, as I don't use the light for them and its not easy to move it. Put half their water in a temporary tank then pulled a lump of Java moss out to put it in the new tank. It had something slimy on it. You guessed it! Eggs.
I am now back in the house with a chocolate drink, having abandoned them to their activities for now.
Not really sure what to do from here. They are around a year old. It was obvious that Einstein was male about a month ago, now I know Blip's a girl. What harm does it do for them to breed at this age? I could house them separately in 60 by 30 by 37cm tanks (65 litre) or keep them in their 90 by 38 by 38cm tank. I think I prefer to just leave them together. They don't interact, but they haven't had any problems either and its easier to keep stable conditions in a large volume of water. And I would leave the young to be eaten unless anyone wants eggs?
Does the jelly pollute the tank when it breaks down?
Sips chocolate drink.........

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Yes. They are just perfect.
I go shopping for boring things like food and come back with presents for my axies.

:happy: You sound so much like m, I would lov to find something like these little caddies I think you called then, looks like they work out great, I have been trying to figure something out for a step up too...
:D

layna

Reaction score
:happy: You sound so much like m, I would lov to find something like these little caddies I think you called then, looks like they work out great, I have been trying to figure something out for a step up too...
:D

Hehe i actually thought 'caddy/ie' was an american word.

They can be called different things, when i was looking for mine i searched 'shower caddy/shower caddie/ shower tray/ plastic shower shelf/ shower shelf/suction cup shower shelf'

Each one brought up different items haha, heres the type i have
Bathroom CORNER SHOWER CADDY ORGANIZER soap shampoo tub shelf tray rack suction | eBay Free delivery if your in the USA too :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!