Axolotl mature?

Quentari

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Quentari
So my golden axolotl is TINY compared to my other axies, his head is smaller and his body slimmer, his toes are still webbed. He is very long though.

HOWEVER.

I noticed today that his toes are completely black, just like my mature Lecustic. DOes this mean he's mature? Will he grow?

Sorry for bad picture quality, will upload a better one later

(actually if she's mature she's definitely a she lol)

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 506
Black toes aren't a good indicator of sexual maturity. I'm not sure how that got perpetuated.

Age and size are much better indicators. Many are sexually mature around the 7-8 month mark.

Is he in the same tank with the others? Perhaps he's not getting the lion's share of the food, once an animal falls behind it can stay behind by not being as competitive with the food source even in a captive environment.

Is he in the same tank with the others? Perhaps he's not getting the lion's share of the food, once an animal falls behind it can stay behind by not being as competitive with the food source even in a captive environment.

I've had him for a month and in that time he's had his own tank, 2 worms a day (they are smallish) and hasn't grown yet, but he might have been squished at the place my fish shop ordered him in from

Black toes aren't a good indicator of sexual maturity. I'm not sure how that got perpetuated.

Age and size are much better indicators. Many are sexually mature around the 7-8 month mark.

Unfortunately he's from a pet store, so I have no idea how old he is. All I know is he's at least 20cm long but his body and head size is around half the size of my other axies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back