FINALLY we have FEET! :D

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!
Well, after a LOT of stress, a little heart break, and worrying, my kids are growing like weeds and after almost 40 days of swimming around, we have feet! :D

Thanks to everyone for your patience and help over the last month! You all rock! me:p

Attachments

• IMG_2785 (2).jpg
    IMG_2785 (2).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 198
Thats crazy! 40days? How often were you feeding them? Im glad they are starting to get legs though :) cuties

I think it's because it's so chilly in my room. The water temp has been at 62 degrees, so everything about their development, including their hatching, has taken longer.

Started feeding twice daily, but they weren't even close to having digested everything in 12 hours, so questioned the forum, and now feed once a day, letting them pig out until they can barely move. But once I get my Daphnia in, they will have snacks in their dishes with them at all times. They are getting to the point where they need that. :D

Sounds about right. Mine are 2 months and juuuust getting their back nubbins in. Mine are a little cooler than yours (mid 50's).

You know what nevermind! I was thinking 40days was very long but it isnt. Im hoping to be able to home mine in another 3weeks making them 33days old but i wont until they have front limbs/eating bloodworms
Mine are 12days old at around 2cm and have legs buds that i can see farelyeasy now, mine are kept at 62 too :) maybe 33days is a bit to hopeful?

so about how long after hatching does it take to grow front and rear legs?? of course they are not all going to be the same giving different conditions/temp and so forth!......Thanks:happy:

so about how long after hatching does it take to grow front and rear legs?? of course they are not all going to be the same giving different conditions/temp and so forth!......Thanks:happy:

I guess it all depends on temperature and food.
Mine are 12days and i see front leg buds.

Axolotl.org has a good article on hatchlings, though they use conditions at 68F and obviously every one varies but it helps me see if they are developing okay. My eggs took 17days to hatch at 62F so i figure they will grow a bit slower then one at 68F

I have homes for all of mine, but won't be sending them off until their back legs are fully in and they are less high maintenance than they are now. Don't want the new owners to have any issues, so will wait a while longer, at least 3" if not slightly bigger. :D

My little ones are 7 weeks+2 days ~2" and their back legs are close to being fully developed. Temps have been on average 66F. As for food, it was bbs for first 1.5-2 weeks, then white worms for another 2-3 weeks, then chopped black worms ever since.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 194
So cute! This really has been pretty amazing watching them develop from eggs to what they are now! :D

Can't wait for their color to start coming in. And every day I love that they look more like an axolotl and less like a minnow. ;)

I was just thinking the same thing when I was harvesting daphnia today. My little babies used to be so tiny, even baby daphnia looked huge! Now they're happily chowing down on big white worms. *Sniffle* they grow so fast!

My little ones are 7 weeks+2 days ~2" and their back legs are close to being fully developed. Temps have been on average 66F. As for food, it was bbs for first 1.5-2 weeks, then white worms for another 2-3 weeks, then chopped black worms ever since.

Hmmm maybe i am quoting to short of a time for when they will be ready. I definately want them weaned off bbs at least since that can cause issues unless they harvest bbs for other reasons already.
I want to at least make sure they are solidly eating something other then bbs. Im just suggesting using a feeding tub that is small enough that they wont lose their food and such.
I created a basic care guide along with links to here and axolotl.org if they want more information for axolotls 1.5" and over and i guess it will be their chooce whether they want the responsibility of that or if they want to wait longer(i will take care of them till they are all homed though im going to run out of room if they get to big lol

Congrats! Mine magically had their front nubs yesterday morning!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back