Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cause of death?

Luna

Reaction score
Hi, my albino axolotl recently died on saturday and i was wondering if anyone might know the reasons as to why. She hadnt eaten in 3 days and my other axolotl was perfectly fine. she started developing very tiny red veins all over her body and then she started floating on friday night. She was also taken frequent gulps of air at the top of the water.
We put her in a container with enough water so she was fully submerged and could still toucht the bottom so she wouldnt stress any further. when i got up at around 7am on saturday she looked the same as she did friday night. My mum then got up and 8am and asked me how she was, when we went to look at her she was dead.

Here is a picture:
IMG_1036.jpg

EJgraydon

Reaction score
I'm so sorry..

It could've been some type of lung infection, that seems to cause floating, and it would cause the red veins because lack of oxygen..

Once again, I really hate for this to have had happened. ):

Mortimer

Reaction score
I'm sorry. :(

Her skin in the picture almost looks burned. But you said your other axolotl is fine, so that doesn't make sense. I have no idea...but I'm sorry for your loss.

Umber

Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have water test readings and temp readings? I just want to rule anything out even if the other lotl is doing fine. I'm so sorry for your loss....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!