Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising Brine Shrimp

Phantomlink

Reaction score
I'm attempting BBS again but the last batch I believe the water was too cold so now I've added a heater. My question was when I turned off the airpump the shells sunk instead of float. Does this mean that either they werent hatched or not enough salt in the water?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I'm attempting BBS again but the last batch I believe the water was too cold so now I've added a heater. My question was when I turned off the airpump the shells sunk instead of float. Does this mean that either they werent hatched or not enough salt in the water?

I think(i may be wrong) that the hatched shells float, the non hatched shells sink and the shrimp are in the middle. I need to use a flashlight to see the shrimp well to make sure i got enough hatched for the day. Then i leave the water/hatched/unhatched shells, add more water salt and eggs and start over. I wash out the pop bottle once a week once it starts to get really gross. I think the eggs will hatch in cold water it just takes longer. But i need eggs hatched every 24hours so i keep mine warm. Taste the water before you add it it should be as salty as a potatoe chip :)

Phantomlink

Reaction score
The water is pretty salty, I used a "heaping" teaspoon of API aquarium salt. I did see very few shrimp last night before I dumped the culture to start again, but 99% of it was unhatched eggs. I didnt know you could keep adding water/eggs to the mixture, because of the babies dont eat in a day or two they die off

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've had cultures take 36 hours to hatch, give or take. Definitely put a lamp or a light over them. It helps.

Phantomlink

Reaction score
Ya I added a light but I couldnt find an old fashioned incandescent bulb so I bought one I thought would work but the water was cold so I put a small 10 gallon heater in the 2l bottle last night and will check again in a few hours. The water now is around 25-27 and warm to the touch

jburns2422

Reaction score
I am (by all means) not a professional! But usually the (hatched) brine shrimp egg shells float on top when bubbler is turned off, the live brine shrimp are on the bottom and the middle of the container consists of water! Hope this helps!:smile:

karipatra

Reaction score
I actually had to add Epsom Salt to my mix after they weren't hatching, but some prepackaged hatched well. The website said there was Epsom salt in the mix, so looked it up and added the appropriate amount to my mix and it did wonders for the hatch rate! Good luck! :eek:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you plan on raising lots of larvae, it's worth ordering some fresh, decapsulated shrimp eggs. Fresh eggs hatch better, and decapsulated eggs have had the shell removed so they hatch better, and you don't have to worry about shells causing impaction.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1