HELP! I think my axolotl is prolapsing!

M

maffkat

Hey.

I JUST got home from uni. I have had a friend look after my axie. I went into my room and there is a large sack coming out of him!!

What do I do? I don't know any vet's who deal with fish around here.

Kat

Hey.

I JUST got home from uni. I have had a friend look after my axie. I went into my room and there is a large sack coming out of him!!

What do I do? I don't know any vet's who deal with fish around here.

Kat

First, it is not a fish. Its an amphibian. You just need to find an exotic vet that specializes in caudates, however sometimes you can call around and somebody could point you in the right direction.

Second do you have any pictures, it would really help.
How old os your axie?

I know it's not a fish.

He is 10 years old.

I live in the country. Not many Cattle vets deal with anything else, but I am looking.

I'm trying to put photos up. I just need to put them on a host site or something?

I know it's not a fish.

He is 10 years old.

I live in the country. Not many Cattle vets deal with anything else, but I am looking.

I'm trying to put photos up. I just need to put them on a host site or something?

:) wow 10 years!
And that sucks. Living in the country definately has its ups and downs.
All you need to do is click on "post reply" and scroll down past where
You write your message and past where you click to submit post, there is an option to manage attachments, you just need to upload them there :) or you can use a host site it doesnt really matter, either way :)

Thanks that was much easier to upload :)

Attachments

• seamus.jpg
    seamus.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,915
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 696
I don't know what we can suggest as I feel it does need veterinary attention. I personally would keep him in a bare bottomed tank, with good clean, cool water and hope it goes back. Does it look like a bubble, or is it more solid looking?

A prolapse is definitely something that should be assessed by a vet. Even if the prolapse reduces on its own, once an animal has prolapsed, it's likely to happen again.

Any exotic animal vet should be able to reduce it, and if deemed necessary, put a purse stitch in to keep the prolapse from reoccurring.

Sorry for late reply everybody. Thanks for your help. I finally managed to find a vet with the help of many other vets to help Seamus out.

All is well. The prolaps was put back and stiched. He has been taking it easy in a smaller tank until the stiches are taken out.

So thankyou everyone:)

Happy Easter.

Good news :)

So great you took your axolotl to see the vet :D

I hope the recovery is speedy & your lotl returns to it's normal self soon :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Thank goodness! Happy to hear he's better!

Also, lovely to see a Copper coloured axolotl :)

Yeah he's pretty cool. I have never seen his colouring elsewhere. :)

I've seen a couple of photos online but never one for sale. They're quite stunning :blob:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back