Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They can carry salmonella and E. coli (just like all reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds, and mammals). Don't lick your axolotl and wash your hands after being in the tank.

KaeGji

Reaction score
Lmao, sorry...I just find it funny that you have to warn people to not lick their pets lol

They can carry salmonella and E. coli (just like all reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds, and mammals). Don't lick your axolotl and wash your hands after being in the tank.

FX1C

Reaction score
:p awwwwwww I didn't realise
I shouldn't lick my lotls :(

No more lotlpops for me :p lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I hear they taste like fish.

I think people overplay salmonella in herps far too much. You're much more likely to get sick from salmonella from raw chicken and eggs than you are from herps. A little common sense and some soap is all you need for herp-keeping.

FX1C

Reaction score

I think people overplay salmonella in herps far too much. You're much more likely to get sick from salmonella from raw chicken and eggs than you are from herps. A little common sense and some soap is all you need for herp-keeping.

Are you sure that wasn't chicken?

Anything anyone has ever tried to get me to eat always seem to be described as "tastes like chicken!" Hmmmm I'm not sure what kind of chicken those people eat - but nothing tastes like chicken, except chicken! :eek: lol

<3 >o_o< <3

GlowingCool

Reaction score
I haven't been licking my axie...but mostly because I worry about her getting diseases not me.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Now you have me curious! I am going to swab my axies and bring it to school to be plated and incubated. See if samonella grows! Yea! I have no life this got me excited -.- samonella looks cool when it grows on agar.

GlowingCool

Reaction score
I got a *nasty* campylobacter like (never did isolate what it was) infection from one of my fish tanks and a study I found afterward showed that it's more common than you think. The moral of that story is *don't start your siphon by mouth*! Get one of those siphons with a bulb on it that you pump so that you don't come in mouth to water contact with your tank water. An axolotl tank could easily have this.

wandering

Reaction score
I start my syphon by submerging the tube in the water and holding my thumb over the little end while I pull it out into the bucket. Because I'm not using sand for the axies I just use a tube without the big bell on the end so I can also fill the tube with water by submerging it in the new water and put a thumb over each end or even fill from the tap, thumbs over the ends and carry it to the tank. I've been keeping fish for 30 years on and off :eek: so I've had some practice!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

pondweed

Reaction score

As someone who gave herself Salmonella when she was ten by not frying an egg long enough, I won't be licking any lotlpops. ( I can't get the image of them being tempura'd out of my head, though. )

But yeah, a bit of precaution, and it shouldn't be an issue. Mice carry it too, and you're far less likely to handle an axolotl!

FX1C

Reaction score
As someone who gave herself Salmonella when she was ten by not frying an egg long enough, I won't be licking any lotlpops. ( I can't get the image of them being tempura'd out of my head, though. )

But yeah, a bit of precaution, and it shouldn't be an issue. Mice carry it too, and you're far less likely to handle an axolotl!

What about all the raw eggs that are consumed? I have a lot of friends who are fitness freaks (I am sent to trial them with my lack of love for extreme fitness lol) and they consume ridiculous amounts of eggs RAW :barf: with no signs of salmonella - perhaps it also has something to do with the eggs & where they came from / how they were kept / stored.

I've had salmonella (massive food poisoning) from a cooked BBQ chicken bought from a store - unfortunately you can get it from badly handled cooked food too.

I'll miss my lotlpops :eek:
I'll have to take up chuppachups :)

<3 >o_o< <3

shazza

Reaction score
Sighhhh... Thought i was onto something new there for a sec lotlpops!

Dang x)

Ahh well,

(puts hemet back on n resumes licking windows) :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1