Question: I need your opinions on their gills

thadious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Todd
So for the past 3 days my two juveniles have been acting out of the ordinary and their gills aren't pretty like normal. they seem to pin back their gills. all the water parameters are normal, filters are changed. the only thing in the last week that changed was i put a new plant in their 55 gallon tank and i gave them a couple red wiggler worms from petco for the first time. please look at my pictures. thank you

Attachments

• 2013-03-23_09-42-33_634.jpg
    2013-03-23_09-42-33_634.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 248
  • 2013-03-23_09-42-22_236.jpg
    2013-03-23_09-42-22_236.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 2013-03-23_09-42-04_725.jpg
    2013-03-23_09-42-04_725.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 272
Their gills are really long :happy:
Is there a lot of water flow in there? If the filter has been changed/cleaned it might be running better and causing more of a flow? It seems axolotl gills grow bigger with less water flow. A lot can stress them out.

Their gills look fine to me, but what do you mean by you changed the filters?

I'm guessing when you say they aren't as pretty as normal, you mean they aren't as feathery as they used to be?

I have a hanging filter on the back of the tank, I replaced the bio bags. I have shower loofah hanging to disperse the flow of water. I think they didn't like the plant that I put in there, I retested the water today, everything is normal, and pinkies redness is starting to go down. She is starting to look normal again.
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

You have some beautiful looking babies there Thadious, the gills look fabulous too.

The most common signs a stressed axolotl displays are forward/curled gills and a curled tail end. Two easy signs to look out for when you're anxious about your animals well-being.

Also, cool sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back