Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Aerating tank without causing current?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
The title pretty much explains it all ... For now I am using an elite mini filter which is a completely underwater filter so it adds no air at all to the water. How would you add some aeration without breaking the bank or causing a current.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I don't even have an air pump ... Plus that would still move the water a lot for a little one wouldnt it?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If it's big enough for a filter (especially an internal filter), it's definitely big enough for an air stone.

You can get an air pump for $5-10.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I just bought a valve for my airpump tubing, you can regulate the flow of the air through the airstone. Its very useful :) I actually got a pack that came with the tubing/valves/splitters for a few $$
From my experience though, my axolotls LOVVE the bubbles from the airstone. I even catch them sleeping in it >.<

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Turns out my tank is missing a tube that is suppose to help with Aeration ... So hopefully the manufacturer will just send me a new tube.

mikeg

Reaction score
Wont anything you add to the tank create water movement? If its sucking up water its got to come out one way or another and when it does its obviously going to great some type of current. I am assuming you have little axolotls since you posted this in the Axolotl tank set up. Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter is for aquariums up to 3-gallon, axolotls require 10 gallons each so your better off buy air tubing, pump, and a small sponge filter ( all will cost $30 or less). It will create a small current but it wont effect the axolotls, i put one in the tank i raise my axolotls in from when they were eggs, it never seemed to bother them.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I also have a cycled 10 gallon filter but my little one is going to be so small ... Once it grows a little I will switch filters ...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!