Advice on eggs please

jordanxd95

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered i had some eggs in my tank the other day and i was just wondering how long will it take for them to hatch what am i best to feed them on how old do they have to be before i can move them on to blood worm and just basically best way of keeping them healthy

I discovered i had some eggs in my tank the other day and i was just wondering how long will it take for them to hatch what am i best to feed them on how old do they have to be before i can move them on to blood worm and just basically best way of keeping them healthy

first! keep calm lmao :p My eggs had me in a panic every day at "Are they going to hatch today!?"
At 68F They normally take about 10-14days to hatch give or take. Mine were sitting at 62F and took 17days to hatch. Temperature is a good way to give yourself more time if you need it :)
When they first hatch, you need to feed them solely on small, live food. Daphnia is great because it stays alive until it gets eaten in the water(less water changes) Baby brine shrimp is also great, but you need to harvest daily, rinse all the salt off and since they live in saltwater, my BBS don't live more then 12hours before they die, so I need to do a water change before each feeding (twice a day)
Really, after they start getting their front legs, they will be more opt to eating something that isnt alive. There were a few times where I went to harvest BBS and nothing hatched, so in panic mode I'd just chop up bloodworms really small and hand feed them and they would eat it!
Once they are big enough to be able to swallow bloodworms easily you can wean them off live food(I used bloodworms at a young age as a do or die situation. I just hoped they would eat enough till bbs hatched)
Keeping up with water changes is very important. Not losing them durring water changes is also important :( (I've lost 3 this way and it makes me sad) Really its very tedius. I do 100% water change, 50% water changes every day(50% in the morning, 100% at night and put them in a new clean container and wipe the dirty one down) and make sure their bellies are full all the time :)
I've had 0 problems with mine other then losing them somehow? I dont use a airstone I feel like it would make to much current for them at their size.

Edit: if you are harvesting bbs, you can wait till the first one hatchs and then start up a batch. Hatchlings feed of their yolk for the first 24-72hours and dont require feeding.

ok cheers :) roughly how much of the brine shrimp babies would i need to feed them ?
i was really shocked when i saw them at first like :S whats that then googled what the eggs looked like and im guessing thats what they are :')

Attachments

• 544319_10151352969643862_2015963352_n.jpg
    544319_10151352969643862_2015963352_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 153
I think its a trial and error type thing. I started my first batch with 1 teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs like the tutorial on caudata said, then realised that was way to much for my 34 hatchlings. All i do is harvest my bbs, then when im done i dont wash out the container, just leave what is left there, add more eggs, more water and a bit more salt and put it back in aeration. Some eggs take longer to hatch so ive gotten great success like that.

How many eggs do you have? If you have a lot of eggs id suggest running two containers of brine shrimp having them at different stages(so you can alternate) i have
Only a few hatchlings and 1/2t a day of eggs is plenty.

As a new member of raising babies, I awoke to find a batch of eggs myself at the end of last year and have been raising them...I had a hard time finding brine shrimp in my area so I went online and found a way to make a hatchery myself with minimal cost by using two 1 liter bottles, an air pump, and a light to keep it warm....I had to keep it in the kitchen as it needed to be on 24/7 - my son kept saying we had a meth lab in the kitchen...LOL...I bought 2 bags of shrimp eggs on line, and now that they are large enough to eat frozen brine shrimp & bloodworms, I still have a partial bag left....I agree that having two hatcheries going at same time is a good idea as it takes 14-20 hours to hatch and those little babies need to fed every day, not like when they get older...good luck!

As a new member of raising babies, I awoke to find a batch of eggs myself at the end of last year and have been raising them...I had a hard time finding brine shrimp in my area so I went online and found a way to make a hatchery myself with minimal cost by using two 1 liter bottles, an air pump, and a light to keep it warm....I had to keep it in the kitchen as it needed to be on 24/7 - my son kept saying we had a meth lab in the kitchen...LOL...I bought 2 bags of shrimp eggs on line, and now that they are large enough to eat frozen brine shrimp & bloodworms, I still have a partial bag left....I agree that having two hatcheries going at same time is a good idea as it takes 14-20 hours to hatch and those little babies need to fed every day, not like when they get older...good luck!

Yes i will not be sad to not have to use bbs eggs anymore. My pet store had to order me in frozen brine shrimp? Really? Anyways two weeks later im still waiting. So im still stuck with live food. But only once a day now the otherfeeding i chop up bloodworms :)

I have my 2l pop bottle of brine shrimp liquid is sitting on the livingroom floor under a lamp beside the heater lmao it was the warmest place i could find for them that i could have 24/7 light. People often wonder what that is :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back