Tiger salamander aggression?

Minnarden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys do tiger salamander get aggressive to each other? I wondering because I save 2 more tiger Sally's from being let go into the river. So now I got four. And I got more people wanting to bring them to me, and I'm trying to find them new homes right now. I want to know though how many is to many for my 60 gallon? Do I need to worry about fighting or can I house them all in the tank right now till I find a home or two. I'm wanting to keep 4 but if i can't find homes for (what I think is two more coming) would 6 be too many?

The two new ones I got today from the girl today is being quarantine in a rube made container.

Morphed tigers are not very aggressive towards one another. They will display chin to nose rubbing to establish dominance of their pecking order within your colony. Individuals may occasionally try to bite at one another, but never causing trauma as seen during their larval stage.
Regarding spatial capacity, generally 1 per 10 gallons. Since it is a large tank you could add a couple extra if they are 6-8” long. It’s probably best keeping the length of individuals not to exceed 2” of one another, (don’t keep a 6” with an 11”). I’m not sure of the dimensions of your 60 gallon tank. My recommendations are for tanks with a large foot print rather than a large area in vertical dimensions such as a 20 gallon long vs. a 20 gallon high. Also this is for terrestrial sets up rather than an aquatic/terrestrial setting, if so then I would reduce the number to reflect the percentage of land mass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back