FYI: Floaters – a new phenotype

Zidartha

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’ve put together a collection of some of the findings from Blackburn College over the last few years together with my musings on the subject.

In 2009 Blackburn College established the Floater Phenotype SICB - 2009 meeting - Abstract Details

For the hobbyist, one particular finding may be of interest. It is usually assumed that poor husbandry is the cause of a floating axolotl. Once poor water, environment, and diet have been ruled out as the cause of a floating axolotl’s stress, one may conclude it belongs to this phenotype. Many hobbyists will add to the animal’s stress by fridging or re-homing in very shallow water. This research also concluded that the ‘Floater’ had a better survival rate in deeper water: “In still, shallow water (5cm), recovery was slow and irregular; 8 of 29 (28%) BC-Floaters recovered by nine months. In 25cm deep water (with turbulence generated by a hanging power filter) 42 of 44 (93%) six month-old BC-Floaters reverted to a normal body posture within 10 days.” So perhaps leaving well enough alone, may be the way to go.

In 2011 they presented their research on the Blackburn College Floater axolotl, which they established as a breed of salamander which possess a genetic mutation that causes them to float on their backs. -- http://blackburn.edu/documents/BiologyTrip_web.pdf Thus the common floater that many hobbyist have come to be acquainted with may actually be a genetic mutation rather than due to poor husbandry.

Blackburn College has continued to research the floating phenomena. The original question was whether or not these animals are holding their breath because they are choosing to do so or because they can't use their lungs to breathe in and out.

An early test demonstrates the later:

“The axolotls take a deep breath (which makes them buoyant enough that the float on their back) and then they hold their breath… and keep holding it… and keep holding it… sometimes for up to a YEAR! (In the mean time, they’re using their gills to get oxygen.) The research is to see if these axolotls (now called the "Blackburn College Floaters") are choosing to stay floating on their backs for so long, or if they are unable to exhale.

To test this, they put some of the floating axolotls in special water that had very low levels of oxygen dissolved in it. Without oxygen in the water, the axolotls can't use their gills, and would have to depend on their lungs. But the floaters didn't exhale to get a new breath; instead they just got agitated (as if they were suffocating) until they were placed back in normal water.” -- A Breath of Fresh Air?

So it would seem that the Floating axolotls simply can not use their lungs owing to their genetic mutation.

This mutation seems to have little or no advantage to the individual axolotl; however, one must keep in mind that an axolotl female can lay up to 1000 eggs at a time. My hypothesis: Perhaps this mutation creates ‘sacrificial lambs’ early in the juvenile development cycle. These Floaters would be ‘sacrificial lambs’ so to speak as they would be easily picked off by birds, fish, and other such predators, which would help protect the rest of the colony at large. Imagine your little Floater sitting in the middle of Lake Xochimilco. There would be little chance for survival – and that’s the point. It would be evolutionary utilitarianism at its best.

Any thoughts?
k.

Interesting reading. I have an axolotl who seems to spend all his time floating under the surface, at least now I can apply some scientific reasoning to why he might be doing it rather than my normal response, 'He thinks he's a submarine.'

When you say "float on their back" do you mean they are upside down on the surface or just that they on the surface but the right way round? I have an axolotl that is almost always floating on the surface but looks healthy and there is no problem with water quality. Should I drop a few pellets to the bottom of the tank then it soon submerges, hoovers them up and then goes up to float again. It actively chooses to float as it can easily sink if it wishes to. Maybe it believes that it gets a better view of whatever is going on above the tank (usually me) or that it is closer to food. Who knows but it is certainly an interesting topic.

Regards Neil

Really interesting :)

Thanks for taking the time to post the links & all the info.

I have a couple that live to hover at the top of the tank & it's definitely on purpose - I have noticed mine do use their lungs as they pop out a bubble when they want to go down & gulp a bit of air when they're chilling out in float mode :)

As for natural selection it's more than likely natures way of keeping the numbers & genetics in check :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

It's a mistake to think that axolotls spend all their time hanging around the bottom of a tank. In a heavily planted environment they will spend a certain amount of their time hanging subsurface with the plants as cover though certain individuals will display this behavior more than others . In a tank devoid of floating plants they dont seem to do this as much.
I would also like to know if the floaters described are belly up ? I haven't seen this activity before except in dying larvae.

Perhaps it's an adaptation to feeding on surface invertebrates? An axolotl permenantly near the surface will be able to hoover up landing insects and pondskaters for example? Interesting thought

Perhaps it's an adaptation to feeding on surface invertebrates? An axolotl permenantly near the surface will be able to hoover up landing insects and pondskaters for example? Interesting thought

Axolotls follow the food source. If you feed pellets or other food on the bottom they will hang about there if they are hungry. If you add frogs or fish that hang about under/on the surface thats where you will find a hungry axolotl. It is surprising to see what an active predator they can be when they have larger live foods in their tank, they are not just an ambush predator, they cruise around searching for food, then drift towards their target and lunge when it is within range. If you look at a wild type axolotl you will see its belly is often lighter than the rest of it, this is a common adaption to break up an animals silhouette to avoid predation from below it, which indicates they are not just bottom feeders.

'He thinks he's a submarine.'

Maybe he is. Although, submarines have the ability to submerge. So, if he just floats, umm, that would just make him... a boat? :wacko:

k.

When you say "float on their back" do you mean they are upside down on the surface or just that they on the surface but the right way round? .... Should I drop a few pellets to the bottom of the tank then it soon submerges, hoovers them up and then goes up to float again. It actively chooses to float as it can easily sink if it wishes to.

The 'Floaters' float either on their back or stomach. When they are really inflated, I find they can't help but be on their back. In my experience, the Floater is actually unable to zip down and eat anything off the bottom. They are literally stuck at the top and need to be hand fed.

If your Axie can make it to the bottom, then it's just personal preference that he/she hangs out near the top.

If floaters represent a genetic variant it would be interesting to see if it occurs in wild axolotl bloodlines and for that matter, in A.tigrinum/mavortium too. If it doesn´t, then the allele would have appeared in the captive population and spread most probably because of the lack of selective pressures (seing as they can survive to maturity).
I have a problem with the idea of axolotl offspring as being colonial. It´s just not the case. Individuals are solitary and independent and will cannibalize their siblings. What´s the advantage of having a portion of your offspring be easily picked off from the surface when you live in a deep lake? Those offspring would be put to much better use in the bottom, away from predators that can´t access them, boosting the numbers of viable offspring that might survive. Non-carriers would have an advantage over the rest.
I think it´s much more likely that there is no strategy and no evolutionary advantage, but rather that this just happens as a deleterious allele that is just not serious enough to represent a significant competitive disadvantage (much like myopia in most of our populations).

Really interesting :)
As for natural selection it's more than likely natures way of keeping the numbers in check.

That is absolutely my point. It could potentially keep the numbers in check and help make it easier for others without this particular mutation to have a better chance at survival.

It makes no sense. Axolotls produce very large spawnings. It would be pointless to spend extra resources on creating a portion of offspring that will initially compete with the rest only to then die. Numbers are kept in check by parasites, predators, intraspecific competition, availability of food, etc, not by killing off a percentage of your offspring at a certain point. It´s wasteful and, i think, almost definitely maladaptive.
Also, if you breed two floaters does the proportion of floating offspring increase or change at all?

If floaters represent a genetic variant it would be interesting to see if it occurs in wild axolotl bloodlines and for that matter, in A.tigrinum/mavortium too. If it doesn´t, then the allele would have appeared in the captive population and spread most probably because of the lack of selective pressures (seing as they can survive to maturity).

We may never know. I think the wild populations and those doing research on them have greater concerns. I have no idea how many generations removed the Blackburn College axolotls are from the wild population. A very valid point that the allele, or alternate genetic form, appeared at some point in the captive population after the fact.

I have a problem with the idea of axolotl offspring as being colonial. It´s just not the case. Individuals are solitary and independent and will cannibalize their siblings. What´s the advantage of having a portion of your offspring be easily picked off from the surface when you live in a deep lake? Those offspring would be put to much better use in the bottom, away from predators that can´t access them, boosting the numbers of viable offspring that might survive. Non-carriers would have an advantage over the rest.

Of course non-carriers would have an advantage over the rest. That would be the natural corollary effect. The use of the term colony refers to a specific population and is not indicative of any social behaviours (it's also the term that the University of Indiana used to refer to its axolotl population). Of course axolotls are solitary rather than social creatures. It does not exclude a genetic predisposition to a species specific genetic advantage. That's like arguing that they should only lay one egg as opposed to 500 because they are solitary creatures.

I think it´s much more likely that there is no strategy and no evolutionary advantage, but rather that this just happens as a deleterious allele that is just not serious enough to represent a significant competitive disadvantage (much like myopia in most of our populations).

This could very well be true. We don't know if this pre-disposition exists in the wild. Indeed the Blackburn College sample is too small to draw a meaningful conclusion.

Azhael, thank you for your thoughtful post(s). It makes for a wonderful discussion.

It makes no sense. Axolotls produce very large spawnings. It would be pointless to spend extra resources on creating a portion of offspring that will initially compete with the rest only to then die. Numbers are kept in check by parasites, predators, intraspecific competition, availability of food, etc, not by killing off a percentage of your offspring at a certain point. It´s wasteful and, i think, almost definitely maladaptive.

Perhaps it’s ‘heterozygous advantage’ where individuals with heterozygous alleles possess some yet discerned advantage (like sickle-cell anemia).

Also, if you breed two floaters does the proportion of floating offspring increase or change at all?

Yes, absolutely. That was the crux of Blackburn College's original research: "Over three years, crosses were raised under similar laboratory conditions (20-25 C with local photoperiods). A repeated cross produced 29% and 25% BC-Floaters in successive years. That same male crossed with a different female produced only 2% offspring that matched the floater phenotype. Subsequent crosses of BC-Floaters that had recovered to normal body posture exhibited an unclear pattern of incomplete penetrance. Two crosses of F1 BC-Floaters produced 20% and 21% BC-Floater offspring. Two crosses of F2 BC-Floaters produced 8% and 10% BC-Floater offspring." SICB - 2009 meeting - Abstract Details

Here is the abstract from their 2012 reserch, which I don't think I included anywhere. SICB - 2012 meeting - Abstract Details

k.

Ah, ok, ok, i missunderstood the intentionality behind the use of the word colony.
My argument was that axolotl offspring do not behave in any kind of coordinated way. They are completely independent and i think that takes away from the possibility of sacrificial lambs. That would only be beneficial if the offspring of a particular pair was isolated in some way from the rest. Otherwise it stops being kin selection and it becomes some kind of group or species selection which is highly problematic.

Heterozygous advantage is an interesting possibility. However, it seems strange to me that the results of crossings would produce such complicated proportions of offspring. That, to me, would seem to indicate that it´s not a gene, but rather a complex of genes. If that´s the case, then the heterozygous advantage hypothesis becomes much more complicated and much more difficult to demonstrate.

I still have trouble trying to picture what manner of benefit this phenomenon could provide to a population. The sacrificial lamb idea sounds nice but i don´t see how it would work for this species.

Just out of curiosity how exactly do you go about crossing two floaters? From my observations of axolotl courtship/mating all of this behaviour occurs near the bottom of the tank. Spermatophore depositing and uptake all occur on a surface on the bottom as well. I guess in captivity it might just work if you keep the individuals in a very shallow tank but this sure is one quick way for a phenotype not to be carried on in a wild population.

Regards Neil

Just out of curiosity how exactly do you go about crossing two floaters? From my observations of axolotl courtship/mating all of this behaviour occurs near the bottom of the tank. Spermatophore depositing and uptake all occur on a surface on the bottom as well. I guess in captivity it might just work if you keep the individuals in a very shallow tank but this sure is one quick way for a phenotype not to be carried on in a wild population.

Regards Neil

I think you've actually hit the nail dead on here. Crossing the Floater phenotype is really only possible in captivity. It wouldn't really be feasible in the wild. You wouldn't want the amount of Floater offspring to rise to 30% in the wild (like in the Blackburn trials). So it wouldn't be possible for Floaters to mate in the wild, keeping the phenotype at a reasonable and desirable 2% - 4% perhaps.

k.

:confused:Am I being dense ? How do they eat? I'm unable to picture them holding their breath and eating at the same time.:confused:

I´m pretty sure you hold your breath while you eat, Karen xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back