Can you feed babies too much?

Kristen0888

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a newbie and so far, so good with my babies, but I'm curious. Can I feed them too much? I feed them freshly hatched bbs twice a day, around 12 hours apart. They do poop...a lot! So, I know that what is going in is going out, so that's a good thing. But, their bellies are constantly big and orange. I know this seems like a strange question, but should I cut down the feedings to once a day? I just don't want to kill them with over feeding. Thank you!

Attachments

• aaaah.jpg
    aaaah.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 576
  • ah.jpg
    ah.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 527
  • ahh.jpg
    ahh.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 735
  • ahhh.jpg
    ahhh.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 316
  • ahhhhh.jpg
    ahhhhh.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 298
  • ahhhhhh.jpg
    ahhhhhh.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 382
Axies will eat until they can't lol
as long as you see them consummimg what you are feeding you are fine.

I would say the only time you would need to fear over eating is if you switch them to a pellet that expands. You don't want them consummimg a bunch to fill their belly and then they expand.

As long as they are eating and the waste and uneaten food is being taken out so it doesn't foul the water you should be fine.

Sounds like you are doing a great job

Awesome! Thank you. I didn't know that about pellets, so that will come in handy in the future. Thank you! I only leave the bbs in there for an hour and do a 100% water change after, with the container a little more than half full. Then every 2 or 3 hours i go check them and suck out all the poop. Thank you for the good information!

One more question that I forgot. It is normal for them to get like a red dot on/in their tummy. If you look at the last picture, you can kind of see it. I'm not sure what it is. There is nothing else in their container for them to swallow.

That's the liver. Aren't axies cool?

I dont know why but my bbs lives about 10-12hours in the water. So i do the water changes before each feeding(approx every 12hours) now they have all the bbs eaten before they die so if you want a little less work, do some trial an error. The shrimp wont foul the water until they die so you can safely keep them in the water till then. As for poop i havent had any problems with it fouling the water between water changes. I keep them in containers with less then a liter of water and its been fine :)

Im learning that as hatchligs/juveniles you cant overfeed them(unless as stated above pellets but i dont use pellets) the more they eat the quicker they grow. I like keeping constant food for my babies so if there is room there wont be for long lol. My juveniles get bloodworms and i feed them until they start just spitting it all back out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back