Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Proper tank cycling

Kristen0888

Reaction score
I want to start cycling my tank for my axies in the next month, just so I know it is properly cycled and ready to go. They are currently babies, so I have a few months to get ready, but I see lots of posts on here talking about how important it is and I want these guys to have the best possible home. I will be keeping two in a 20G long tank, when they are big enough.

So, my question is, how do I properly cycle the tank? I do have goldfish, but my brother had a fully cycled, healthy tank and such, so I used some of his water and a filter cartridge from him to cycle it, but I don't have a way to cycle the axie's tank. I want to cycle it for at least a month and a half, so I want to start soon. Thank you!

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
You have a tank of goldfish?
You can use water from their to help with cycling the new tank.
That will add benificial bacteria to the new tank.
especially if you use some of the media from the established goldfish tank.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Also you need something creating waste so either pure ammonia or fish to create ammonia.

Kristen0888

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a couple fantail goldfish. So, using some of that water won't hurt the axies? How much should I use? I plan on using a sponge filter for the axies, plus, I have a filter for a 55g tank for my 30g of the goldfish.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I dont know how much water to use. But im going to say you could probably do a normal 20% water change and put that water in your new tank. Im not sure though.
No it shouldnt hurt your axie to add the water. Unless your goldfish are sick but im going to assume they are not.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't have the axolotls yet, fill the to-be-cycled tank up with as much water, waste, and gunk from your fish tank as you can, with a big ol' handful of substrate (it doesn't have to stay in if it's not suitable for axolotls). Then top it off with fresh water and plug in your filter. Every time you do a water change for your goldfish, add it to the axolotl tank. This will be an almost instantaneous cycle. Lucky you!

wandering

Reaction score
If you don't have the axolotls yet, fill the to-be-cycled tank up with as much water, waste, and gunk from your fish tank as you can, with a big ol' handful of substrate (it doesn't have to stay in if it's not suitable for axolotls). Then top it off with fresh water and plug in your filter. Every time you do a water change for your goldfish, add it to the axolotl tank. This will be an almost instantaneous cycle. Lucky you!

I second this. It is exactly what I will be doing next week. And the substrate will be in a nylon 'pop sock' so it can be removed easily (or left in).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Chirple

Reaction score
I used some live sand from a trusted pet store when I start mine - so if you can use something fro the your goldfish tank that would be great!

You could also let a filter (sponge filters are great for axolotls and very gentle) sit or run in the goldfish tank for a bit and then transfer that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!