Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl hiccuping for 5days!

Mindy

Reaction score
My Axolotl is approx 3months old. Hind legs have not fully grown yet. I put him in a tank with sand and large pebbles. I saw him eat sand and took him out immediately. Took all the sand out. Completely rinsed out the tank in the bath so no grains were left. I put him back in and seems happy enough but since eating the sand he's hiccuping all the time. To the extent that he lifts off the floor of the tank! I just want to check that the fella is ok as up until then he didn't hiccup.
(Water treated and no ammonia and have done 50% water change today).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 222

FX1C

Reaction score
That's how they eat :D

Mine 'pop' when they suck in their food.
Hopefully that's all yours is doing :)

Are you testing the water in your tank? Thanks to the big rinse out - you've reset your nitrogen cycle & will need to be very careful to test the water & do daily water changes.

What are you feeding the hiccuping lotl & how often?

Keep an eye on it & let us know how it goes :)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
With a lotl that size you'd be better off keep him in a bare bottomed tank - that way the food can't hide away - & leftover food & poop wastes (which cause big problems during cycling) can be removed easily a couple of times a day :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Mindy

Reaction score
Hi Nikki.
Thanks for reply. It's bloodworm and Brine shrimp. The food is put in a small jar that he's eating from. I can see the food in its belly. I am able to pick the jar up once eaten so its not scattered everywhere. I just put him in the tank. The jar is put on the bare bit of the tank. But if you think it will be better to be bare then I will remove everything as I don't want anything to happen to him.
I had no choice but to remove all the water as that was the only way to get every grain of sand out of the tank. But yeah, I have a test kit that I use for my tropical tanks. So i will keep an eye on the nitrogen cycle. I love my little fella. He raises his head when he sees me put my hand in. Every bit of advice is very helpful. X

FX1C

Reaction score
Sounds like everything you're doing is great :D hopefully the hiccups clear up soon - they're such funny quirky little creatures!

Feeding jars are such an awesome way to feed - I haven't used one for a while, but I might have to reintroduce one so I can put some sand in the bottom of my tank again :) bare bottom for an OCD clean freak is a lot of work :rolleyes: lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Mindy

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I felt the Axolotl was struggling to walk so put some pebbles in and two volcanic rocks that have Anubias Nana growing on them, a plant basically! He is fine now. I sat and watched him for the most of a day and you were right he hiccups when he's eating and shortly after but then ok the rest of the day. I would really like to say thanks because I got so worried. I only got an Axolotl once I understood tropical fish. You might think that's weird but I gained knowledge of water chemistry and ammonia because up until then I had no clue about the nitrogen cycle. Your advice really helped and made me feel better. Very much appreciated.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1