Tankmate bully

• Thread starter Deleted member 20061
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20061

So Toothless has taken a 3rd bite out Astrid, poor little girl. This time it looks like she's tried to take a nip out of her back foot but nothing detached this time, there's just a red gash and she's not using it. Not sure what time it happened, presuming sometime this morning. Should I be worried about infection? They're still getting a daily water change.

jojo86-albums-astrid-toothless-picture27801-dscf1354.jpg

It's pretty cold here at the moment, the tank is holding around the 15.5 degree mark, has been for a couple of days, would this explain why she looks paler than usual? She's also been a lot less active.

Should I potentially be putting a divider into the tank to separate them? Toothless is definitely getting more of the food.

Sorry about the **** quality of the photo!

Sometimes mine look more pale when the PH drops. I have soft water here so I need to raise it.

What size thank are the two in?

How are you feeding them? And how much are they eating? I've had similar things happen due to overcrowding and/or insufficient food.

The tank is 3ftx1ft, 60 litres, 1 hide and a bunch of plastic and real plants.

They get 2 or 3 cubes of frozen bloodworms in the tank every evening, once a week they get fed 3 earthworms (earthworm colony is still establishing, they'll be getting them every other day in a couple of weeks). Toothless has a good size belly on her, Astrid is slimmer and growing slower than her sister.

Their tank size sound good.

I haven't enjoyed using the bloodworms as they are messy. Perhaps things will improve with the earthworms. That's great that you are developing your farm, its such a useful thing to do, free food forever too. My lotls seem so much healthier since they get earthworms daily. It must be all the nutrients.

Perhaps putting another hide in the tank would be helpful. Just for a sense of security.

Do you feed them in separate spots in the tank? This may stop one biting the other during feeding. But if this is the third time this has happened it may be time to separate them.
With regards to the wound, I would just keep a close eye on it and watch for any deterioration.

I'd be tempted to separate them too. If it's happened three times now it's likely to happen again.

Our Poseidon has proven to be a bit of a bully as well. We planted out the tank, lots of hides, separate feeding areas but he bit Hades for the third time this weekend. So, the divider goes back in the tank to stay. We don't want to take the risk anymore and Poseidon just doesn't 'play well' with others - or at least not with Hades! :(

Thanks guys, the divider has been ordered, and I'm gonna make a couple more hides. Hopefully Astrid will be happier with the new set-up when it's sorted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back