My babies are growing!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So a lot of my babies have reached their 1" mark as of last night! I can see toes forming on their front limbs and i see back limb buds!
I wanted to share my absolute excitment on how fast they grow up! It wont be long before i start to home them :(
Oh! And stubby as we call him has had the fluid in his abdomen for 6days now and still eating and pooping and moving around! I dont know if its even possible that he will make it? My boyfriend is becoming quite attached to him because he is a weak odd ball but i keep trying to tell him i am doing all i can do but he probably still wont make it :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 277
Cute!

Sadly Axolotls have so many eggs that the statistical probability of them all being viable is negligable :cry: All you can do is be the best parent you can :happy:

I kind of figured there was bound to be fatalities but i hoped after almost 3weeks that i avoided it :p
Im just sad that my boyfriend is getting attached to him.

Hey does anyone know if 20$ for one is to steep for one axolotl? Thats what i am asking for.
I am in a market where there is not one axolotl breeder for at least 1200km. Most people have to have them shipped at a huge cost(i paid 98$ for two)
Ive had several inquiries and only a couple have continued to keep in touch. I guess some people are just going to wait maybe till they are actually ready to leave but i really would like to give them to people who show that they are willing to learn how to take care of them properly. Either that or the amount of care/price of them scares them off. Frankly the people who i feel will give them the best home that they can is who will get them. Im sorry im not settling. I see the mistreated from people posting some of the ones that they rescue/pet shops and even some on instagram

I mean look, baby salamanders at the pet store go for 50+$

Mine are for sale at £10 each from 10cm long. Because I want them to go to people who are willing to spend a little. Too cheap and they become "disposable". But I would feel like I was exploiting folk if I asked for twice that. Its a hobby, not a business.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mine are for sale at £10 each from 10cm long. Because I want them to go to people who are willing to spend a little. Too cheap and they become "disposable". But I would feel like I was exploiting folk if I asked for twice that. Its a hobby, not a business.

Mmhmmm well at 20$ im definately not making any money off them haha :) im just trying to make my money back. This was just a great experience plus i get to keep a couple as well * crazy axolotl lady in the making*
I woul of had no problem paying 20$ for one if i could of! I would of jumped

Perhaps I should add that there is a glut of baby Axolotls on the Wirral. That's between Liverpool and North Wales where I live, all within twenty miles of me. Still asking for £10 for these six inchers though. They need homes with people who are serious about keeping them. They are my babies!

Aw, they're so cute! Good luck with your little oddball. I hope he makes it. :)

Oh! And stubby as we call him has had the fluid in his abdomen for 6days now and still eating and pooping and moving around! I dont know if its even possible that he will make it? My boyfriend is becoming quite attached to him because he is a weak odd ball but i keep trying to tell him i am doing all i can do but he probably still wont make it :(

Sounds like what my hatchling Crowbar had... and yes, s/he ate at first, but they just swell so much in the end.... I had about 7 or 8 other hatchlings in a bunch that turned out like that - I ended up euthanizing the others because once they don't eat, they'll just starve to death. (If you search Crowbar, I'm sure you'll find the thread to compare to).

As for price, you just have to keep advertising. Do you have a fish club or caudata club in your city? What I did was start a thread on there of me raising them, giving comments, information on care, observations, photos and a video, to lure them in to the cuties ;) That's where I found homes for at least 6 of my hatchlings. I've found homes for others on Kijiji. I have about 40 hatchlings to sell, and I've sold/reserved 25% of them, and expect to have the other hatchlings for a couple of months before I find the others homes. You can always check with your local fish store but make SURE if they're interested that they properly take care of them.

I live in Winnipeg and no one has them here, and Petland couldnt even order some in for me. I set my prices to $50 for melanoid, leucistic, wildtype, $55 for white albino and $60 for golden albino. $10 discount for 2, $30 discount for 3. But it all depends on how big your city is, and how well you can spread the word :)

Sounds like what my hatchling Crowbar had... and yes, s/he ate at first, but they just swell so much in the end.... I had about 7 or 8 other hatchlings in a bunch that turned out like that - I ended up euthanizing the others because once they don't eat, they'll just starve to death. (If you search Crowbar, I'm sure you'll find the thread to compare to).

As for price, you just have to keep advertising. Do you have a fish club or caudata club in your city? What I did was start a thread on there of me raising them, giving comments, information on care, observations, photos and a video, to lure them in to the cuties ;) That's where I found homes for at least 6 of my hatchlings. I've found homes for others on Kijiji. I have about 40 hatchlings to sell, and I've sold/reserved 25% of them, and expect to have the other hatchlings for a couple of months before I find the others homes. You can always check with your local fish store but make SURE if they're interested that they properly take care of them.

I live in Winnipeg and no one has them here, and Petland couldnt even order some in for me. I set my prices to $50 for melanoid, leucistic, wildtype, $55 for white albino and $60 for golden albino. $10 discount for 2, $30 discount for 3. But it all depends on how big your city is, and how well you can spread the word :)
Oh wow! I dont feel bad about my price now!
There is no market here so i am selling them at 1.5" for 20. Once they get bigger i am going to bring the price up since it costs money to care for them
I have 8 of my 30on reserve right now. 4are going to be staying within the home. So 12 have homes :)
Did you get yours from lydia by chance?
Im just trying to figure out the color morphs. I cant tell if my albinos are golden or not. They arent white i know that. And also i dont think i have any leucistic but im not sure

As for tubby, he has stoped eating :( is there any nice way to euthanize them at this size? I feel so bad he is worst then yesterday i probably wantto give him another day or two but itd be a miracle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back