Question: What should I do now?

mkpage0715

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, last year, my favorite girl, Tilly, had a brief encounter with a male Axolotl, and I got awoken to 29 eggs in my tank...after many months and some loss, I have 12 very healthy and beautiful babies that are now about 2 to 2-1/2 inches long, some getting close to 3. I actually came up with the idea of purchasing a plastic organizer from Michael's craft store that has moveable sections, and have placed one in each section so they wouldn't harm each other..now that they are larger, I actually purchased another so they would have more room so I have 6 in one, and 6 in the other. They eat frozen bloodworms & frozen shrimp like there is no tomorrow, and even poke their heads up as I am feeding them waiting for their turn...SO ADORABLE...but now, they are getting to the point that I need to find them homes. I have a pet store close by that said they would take them, but if I were to consider selling them myself, I have no idea what would be the safest way to sell them...do I only have pick up, or how would I go about shipping? I see lots of people on the site selling eggs & juvies, but want to make sure I do it right so the babies are not harmed in any way. Any advise would be appreciated.

If I were to sell babies I would advertise them on here. There's also bulletin boards at my local pet shops where you can advertise pets that need homes.

I know some people on here are very particular about who their babies go to. Making sure that new potential owners know the basics about axolotls and their care. I would make a screening process for new owners to make sure your babies are going to the best homes and will get the best care. Saying that, if they do purchase from this site, they are most likely to have a bit of knowledge from reading the forums.

I've seen that people ship their juvies, not sure I'd want to but it's personal preference I guess. If you decide to I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here to give guidance on how to ship safely and which is the best company to use in the US. :happy:

This time of year they are really easy to ship due to the cold weather. You just need to buy some 'breather bags' you can get them on ebay and ship them with the post office.

thanks for the great information...I think I will try seeing if I can get local pickups first and then go from there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back