Immediete help on bug id in my newt tank

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
§Sinner§
I have little white bugs in my fire belly newt tabk and i have no idea what they are. Would really appreciate the help. They swim in the water and cling to the sides and my fake plants. But they seem to stop where the sunlight ends. Please help me!!! Im worried and never had thiz problem the entire 5 yearz i have had them.

Not sure if I am right so someone more experience may comment. I found something similar thing in a tank before and it was due waste and introduced food. Just had to do a good water change and keep on top of the maintenance of the tank.

Someone else may give you a better answer

I have little white bugs in my fire belly newt tabk and i have no idea what they are. Would really appreciate the help. They swim in the water and cling to the sides and my fake plants. But they seem to stop where the sunlight ends. Please help me!!! Im worried and never had thiz problem the entire 5 yearz i have had them.

Can you post a picture? how big are they? are they cyclops , copepods or baby triops growing , i only found one baby triops in my fbn a pic would help :)

They kind of look like an Ostracod but I'm not quite sure. there were at least 60 of them in there just clinging to the side of the tank where the sunlight hit it directly. And here is the best possible picture I could take with my smartphone.

Attachments

• unknown insect in aquarioum.jpg
    unknown insect in aquarioum.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,711
From the photo,they look like little limpets to me.

I personally would leave them, but you could maybe suck them off the glass if it bothers you..will give you hours of fun :cool:

I would also avoid using most treatments for fear of poisoning my newt.

Difficult to say what they are, but i would narrow it down to some kind of crustacean, which makes them harmless and useful in maintaining a stable tank. I love having lots of little critters in my tanks.

The look exactly like what i have in all three of my fish tanks. It is the early stage of a snail that develops a conical shell. I don't really know the name of these snails, but I have a lot of them. I don't mind, since they help to clean up the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back