Lotl has one leg up in the air

Ftskayla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so this is the second time this has happened. I assumed it was air the first time, and it did eventually go away, but I feel like this might be stressing him out? I have been feeding him his worms under the water to make sure he didn't get any in while he ate, but this has happened a second time. Literally one leg is stuck up in the air and when he tries to swim it almost looks like he might flip? What is causing this, and how do I prevent this in the future? Also, is there anything I can to to help this pass or should I leave it alone. Last time this happened I took half of the water out in the tank.

Any chance you could post a pic of the leg issues?

Does it look broken or dislocated?

A pic will help more :)

<3 >o_o< <3

I have to upload the pictures one by one. I had moved him into his tub so I could do a water changed and he pooped. I don't think his leg is doing it anymore but ill check when I put him back in his tank. Also does he look skinny? I don't think he's gotten any fatter since I have ha him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 762
Cdr - YouTube

I put him back in his tank and he is swimming around kind of fast. I've never seen him swim like this before. If you watch the whole video you can kind of see him still floating up . (Ps sorry about the spongebob playing in the background.) Now it just seems like his butt end keeps floating up. I'm kinda worried.

Don't see nothing wrong, he is just bloated. Mine youngsters swim like that from time to time. Gibe him a day without food and he should go back to normal.

He looks like he's trying to find somewhere comfortable to me. What is the temperature in the tank and is it a different temperature to what he was in the tub? Has the chlorine been removed? Have you checked the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
I can't see the problem with a leg. He looks a bit off balance in the tub, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There's not much water in the tub, perhaps he was enjoying swimming in the tank. I'd leave him in the tank and see if he settles. Also like Wandering said, checking the water parameters might help too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back