Hello, and a couple of Qs

Tulip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

A few days ago I revisited the idea of an Axolotl, as I looked at keeping one years ago but the idea never really flourished. Anyway, I have been reading the forum all day and it is a fantastic source of information. Almost every question I've thought of has been answered.

Just a couple of questions really, if anyone is willing to help.

I'm a dog breeder and my biggest concern is where I source my Axolotl(s). I refuse to buy from a pet shop as I worry about farmed conditions and general health of the animals there, so would prefer to go to a breeder. Are these very common, or will I have to go to a pet shop? I'll be in the Gold Coast, Australia, when I buy my gilled friend.

My second question would be, can I keep two together being so premature in my obsession? Or will one be enough to be getting along with until I'm more experienced. I would hate to do anything wrong or go too quickly for my inexperienced little brain. I am reading as much as I can but you know how it is, you read it all and get ideas above your station!

My third question is about location; because I'll be in a tropical climate, will it be too difficult to keep a tank cool? I have read about methods to chill a tank and also about the dangers of varying temperatures too frequently and without stability, and they seem doable, but I will really worry I'm not making for a comfortable environment.

Last one! How much should I expect to pay for the upkeep of an Axolotl? I am a frugal gal and like to work with a budget, I will obviously not commit without costs considered and without being able to afford it.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

Hi Tulip,

I'm in the same position as you (only, this is the first time I've visited the idea of having a pet axolotl seriously), but I won't be moving to Australia. You're in luck here, because there are lots of Aussie owners on the site with oodles of experience and advice, as you might have seen. So it's definitely possible, with precautions for the heat. (Have you read yet that axolotls are the only species of salamander that can be owned in Australia?)

There is actually a forum where people can post if they have axies/eggs available, and there is a section for Australia and New Zealand. You can also check the Australian Gumtree, and I expect ebay? So long as you do your research and aren't scared about asking questions and insist on seeing photos, I don't think there would be an issue. Other people'll have more experience and advice than me.

Best of luck!

( As for dogs, from the sounds of it, axolotls are to salamanders as labradors are to dogs; greedy hungry sweeties! )

Thank you so much for the reply! I had no idea that they were the only salamander legal to keep! Does one need a licence do you think, or a permit of some sort to keep them? Gosh how strange Australia is, no rabbits, no salamanders, bizarre.

Thanks so much for your help, I will go and have a hunt through the forums to look, and check gumtree too (had a nosey there earlier to look at 3ft tanks!).

I can handle Labs, I'm a dog groomer, it's funny that I don't even blink at a snarling Collie but the thought of nitrates is driving me mad with worry right now!

There are tons of axolotls in Australia. You should have no trouble finding/rescuing a good one. I don't think you need a permit anywhere (not that I've heard).

Many Australians have chillers on their tanks. They're expensive, but worthwhile. The other option is to keep your axolotl in the fridge all summer.

Cost is negligible beyond your initial investment, especially if you have your own worm farm. You'll have to buy dechlorinator, but a big bottle lasts forever. You will probably buy another axolotl (or 5), so I suppose you can factor that into cost. Nobody can keep just one, no matter how much they say they will. lol

as per your mention, we are allowed rabbits, in Australia?? and axies are very common here, not all pet stores have good stock tho, as many store keepers treat them like fish and thus Ive seen a few axies on the unhealthier side, also it depends on where you go in Australia, if your hitting Tasmania, u will never need a chiller as temps stay fairly low down there, and there's places across the southern parts of Australia which stay cool, I live in Perth, but there's an oddity about Perth from mid spring to mid autumn we regularly hit temps of 40*C even as high as 45, however from mid autumn to mid spring, our temps hang between 26*C to as low as -1/2*C at night.

Last edited:
Here I can chime in!
You don't need a permit unless you own a morpholotl (Something not many people know), unless you're in Tasmania, where it's flat-out illegal due to perfect axie riot conditions. As to rabbits, it's illegal to own rabbits in Queensland due to the plague like proportions that they've got to in the state (poor bunnies!).
In terms of setup, check gumtree and eBay for tanks- Australia has an excellent supply of them around. I have a 6x2x2ft tank which cost me $260, then my chiller was $300, and my canister was under $200 (Spread out over a few years, though I would definitely recommend you get the chiller/canister combo at the very least).
In terms of axies, there should be a heap coming up around midwinter when breeding season kicks off (Although, if you happen to be in Sydney for any time period, I do have some lovely little babies who are looking for homes- though I have yet to discover a reliable method to ship them, so it's Syd pickup :) )
Hope this helps a bit, and feel free to ask more questions :D!

Here I can chime in!
You don't need a permit unless you own a morpholotl (Something not many people know), unless you're in Tasmania, where it's flat-out illegal due to perfect axie riot conditions. As to rabbits, it's illegal to own rabbits in Queensland due to the plague like proportions that they've got to in the state (poor bunnies!).
In terms of setup, check gumtree and eBay for tanks- Australia has an excellent supply of them around. I have a 6x2x2ft tank which cost me $260, then my chiller was $300, and my canister was under $200 (Spread out over a few years, though I would definitely recommend you get the chiller/canister combo at the very least).
In terms of axies, there should be a heap coming up around midwinter when breeding season kicks off (Although, if you happen to be in Sydney for any time period, I do have some lovely little babies who are looking for homes- though I have yet to discover a reliable method to ship them, so it's Syd pickup :) )
Hope this helps a bit, and feel free to ask more questions :D!

Yeah what she said! Excellent advise there ;)

Thank you so much everyone! Relief that I won't need a permit, and relief that it seems Axolotl are easy to source. I don't much care for the thought of putting him/her in the fridge (can you tell I'm the kind of person who anthropomorphise her pets?) so a chiller would be in order I think. I've looked at fans, bottles, etc. but will need to become more clued up on that kind of thing.

Seems like next July will be the right time then! I'm emigrating from the UK so need to settle down a bit first and move out from husband's parents' digs so that we're up on our feet. Meanwhile I will read read read!

I just read in another thread (poor Oliver) about how it's illegal to advertise axolotls on Gumtree in Australia, so maybe you shouldn't look there. I don't know if that's just in one state, or all over. Hopefully someone can clarify.

As for the rabbits thing, it really isn't very strange at all when you consider the damage they've done to the bush. From my understanding, quite a lot of irreversible damage. (I have a lot of respect for Aus and NZ's biodiversity protection and importation rules. There are so many unique and varied environments you'd find nowhere else in the world. I sort of envy you going to Australia. I want to go and see the Danetree and Shark's Bay for the Stromatolites... And the giant earthworms of Gippsland!)

Maybe it's a bit sad for people who want to own exotic pets, but in my opinion, the natural flora and fauna have been established far longer and it just isn't worth the chance that people would be irresponsible, even if no-one here would dream of being so. Where's the sense in risking sacrificing all that for our own (arguably selfish) desire for pets?

Totally agree about the snarling collie thing! But I think with collies, they're a lot more vocal/expressive, and a snarl, snap, and click of the teeth is one of their forms of expression. It doesn't bother me when ours does it to our lab, because I know it's just their interactions and she isn't about to attack him. (Wasn't it bred into them to snap at the heels of sheep they're herding?)

Yay another Aussie!
To maintain my temp (I'm in Sydney so the temperature fluctuations are ridiculous), I use an aquarium fan (bought of ebay for $15 or so, from somewhere in Asia) and it works great at keeping it at 19deg. If we have warmer days, I'll pop in some cooler blocks from the freezer, and alternate as they lose their coolness.
I'm looking into chillers too, because it would just make life sooooo much easier.

Also, axys aren't the only salamanders allowed (at least in sydney?). We can also get actual salamanders... my local pet store has had one there for a while (poor bugger, no one seems to want to buy him!).

I had no idea Queensland can't have rabbits! Every pet store here seems to have them :/ But, it makes sense I guess (kind of like keeping a cane toad as a pet, ha!).

Qlder here! Always wanted a long eared guinea pig ;) (or even ferret) but not willing to risk the laws, wildlife (or health of the poor things if I couldnt bring to a vet!)
Never seen a wild bunny in qld but i have seen lots in NSW and VIC (so maybe the restrictions are working!).
Back on topic - Im in SE Qld and yep its been hot here lately. My feather gilled children are safely downstairs in the coolest room of the house (tiled floor, doesnt seem to get any sun either with an aircon room). Its only been a few days but so far so good!
all the best with the move, the goldie is a lovely place.

What you're seeing Hayleyy, are morphed axolotls. The person I know personally who does it takes every step he can to ensure their health whilst they're in his care (it's a VERY risky thing, and should NOT be attempted, and must be discouraged as much as possible), but sadly the other large-scale aussie breeders are absolutely cruel to their axies, and especially to their morpholotls. Then the pet shops are even worse... We have a sad state of affairs here in Australia...BUT we also have an ever growing community of people advocating for them! Hopefully in the next few years we'll reach everyone and improve the quality of life for these adorkable creatures <3

Thank you all again, so much, for taking the time to reply and advise.

I definitely agree that Australia is a pretty incredible environment that needs to be protected, so I don't at all resent the restriction of bunnies, and indeed as pointed out by another member to me, a permit might help people appreciate how much animals need to be considered and are by no means disposable. I couldn't even keep a fish without trying to give it the best, enriched life I could, so to keep something as totally adorable as an Axolotl will be something I want to do properly.

I'm very pleased to hear that a fan will be of help as that seems a cheap option, as well as bottles of water frozen, I'm told?

Pondweed, I must admit not many snarling dogs bother me haha! I'm so used to working with dogs that when they're snarling at me it's par for course and I just remember they're frightened. Luckily most of the dogs I work with are really lovely though! And at least I'll be prepared to be nibbled by an Axolotl! ;)

What you're seeing Hayleyy, are morphed axolotls. The person I know personally who does it takes every step he can to ensure their health whilst they're in his care (it's a VERY risky thing, and should NOT be attempted, and must be discouraged as much as possible), but sadly the other large-scale aussie breeders are absolutely cruel to their axies, and especially to their morpholotls. Then the pet shops are even worse... We have a sad state of affairs here in Australia...BUT we also have an ever growing community of people advocating for them! Hopefully in the next few years we'll reach everyone and improve the quality of life for these adorkable creatures <3

Damn, I hadn't thought it would be a morphed one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back