Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Identification Help

Brendaa

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forum, and a first time salamander owner. I bought Henry about a month ago from a kiosk at the mall, under the belief he was an axolotl. Two weeks after buying him, I noticed his gills and tail shrinking. I was worried, but my friend had bought a female from the same kiosk a week before and hers was undergoing the same changes as mine. Henry has now lost his gills, shrunken his tail, grown lungs, and his eyeballs have popped out a little. He couldn't possibly be an axolotl, could he? I searched the internet and saw tiger salamanders, but he didn't and doesn't look anything like them. Could someone identify him?

I've included some photos of when I first got him and now. I was horribly ignorant regarding his care when I first got him, and put him with a few fish in a gravel tank. (I now realize it could have killed him.) Henry has developed an aversion to water in his metamorphosis and now stays in a different 10 gallon tank filled with sphagnum moss, a few plants, and a fake hollow log shown in one of the attached pictures. There used to be a water bowl included, but he just flung dirt in it and never used it. I now mist several times a day, though he is normally underground most of the time.

If you would like a few better photos or a video of him now, since I realize mine aren't the best, I can provide them. I'd just like to provide my guy the care he deserves, and I feel this forum can help me.

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3252.jpg
    IMG_3252.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 208

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Henry is a tiger salamander. Unfortunately, this 'baby dinosaur'/mall axolotl issue is far too common.

Have a read through this article on tiger care, and the caresheet. Those should get you started!

Welcome to the forum! You're in good company here.

Brendaa

Reaction score
Oh okay! I'm glad he is, because I've been treating him as one since his change. I must have bought him later on in his juvenile stage, because he didn't look much like the pictures I had found of juvenile tiger salamanders.

I've been feeding him big, slow worms, because he is very slow in eating. He'll miss the worm when he goes to bite, many times, even if the worm is crawling in front of him. I have to place him and the worm in a separate container to give him any chance to eat it. Once he gets a bite he'll thrash and show some reaction and eat the whole worm, but is it normal for them to be so slow to feed? He is alert and active when I pick him up.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're not the speediest at eating. Mine sometimes take 3 or 4 tries before they get a worm. Part of their charm, right? The bulldog reaction is completely normal.

Try not to handle him too much. Salamanders have sensitive skin that can be damaged easily. If you need to move him, wash your hands well (rinse twice!), and handle him with bare, moist hands. Skip the towel.

Brendaa

Reaction score
Is it bad I found the whole thrashing about adorable? :p

Would using a pair of tweezers to feed in tank be a better solution to taking him out every time? I hate to just put the worm in because they scurry off before he gets a chance to eat.

Also, how does he stand weight wise? I feel he might be on the skinny side. If he is, is there anything I could do? I offer a worm everyday, and if he doesn't eat it after 30 minutes I just take it out. He's eating about every three days this way.

RPM

Reaction score
I use a pair of blunt tipped forceps and dangle the worm in front of him. I also have 10” long forceps used for transferring them. He’ll eat it if he is hungry. You don’t have to try to feed him everyday. I usually feed mine twice a week, but one or two eat every 10-14 days. They tend to burrow for periods of time, one to two weeks is not uncommon, so if you do not see him for a while, don't worry. He will gain weight over time by feeding twice a week.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I use 10" tongs to feed mine. It's better than losing a finger!

Thrashing is awesome. I love it. One time my big tiger flung a pinkie mouse all the way across the tank. It thunked the wall. lol

I agree with Richard. He just morphed, and that takes a lot of reserves. I would try to get him to eat in the tank, rather than removing him for feeding.

Brendaa

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help you've given me! I thought you guys might like an update.

Henry is doing better than ever and has reached a healthier weight. I ordered 200 worms online and dumped them into his enclosure for him to 'hunt'. I have found no dead ones, so I assume they are all living. I've dug him up twice since I last posted for check ups, and have fed him worms both times, just to make sure. The first time I took him out he ate several, and the second time only one. That, coupled with the weight gain, make me believe he is doing just fine. :D

He very rarely surfaces, but I believe he hides in his log when he does come up and I just don't see him. He has a tunnel system.

I included some photos for fun~

Attachments

• DSCN9078[1].JPG
    DSCN9078[1].JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN9086[1].JPG
    DSCN9086[1].JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN9089[1].JPG
    DSCN9089[1].JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 213

Brendaa

Reaction score
Also, I thought I should add that my friend's salamander died. :( She would not take my advice on moving her out of the aquarium and into a dirt enclosure. She even called the man we bought them from and he advised to keep them in aquariums, but I wouldn't trust a mall vendor. She was very upset, so I didn't mention anything about her salamander not being in the correct environment.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Yes, he is a tiger salamander.
I've heard Spaghum Moss isn't an ideal substrate for these guys(acidic or disease transferred to humans, I've heard both) I would change it to coconut fiber(Eco Earth) and maybe a mix with 100% Organic Top Soil(no pesticides or peat moss, etc) or just coco-fiber, Give at least 4 inches of the coco fiber for burrowing, provide hides, Feed worms or others, Live food though(unless a pinkie mouse every few months i don't advice it though), Make sure he has a water dish of dechlorinated water(keep it clean and about an inch in depth). I clean mine every other day. A secure lid, If Handling only when its ABSOLUTELY necessary, if you have to put dechlorinated tap water on your hands first and wash them before that. I Feed with tongs but hand feeding works too. Yeah, don't take advice from the mall guy you bought him from, they are inexperienced don't know much about what their selling.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1