Bugs in tank?!

layna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Layna
So i was watching stitch eat in his feeding jar quite amused, i decided to get closer to the tank and when i did, to my horror i saw these little bugs on the side of the tank and some swimming about, now by little i mean i had my face pressed against the glass and i could just see them, they look like three circles essentially with the body one being a bit bigger then two circles for the 'tail' .
The only thing i can put it down to is that when i was cycling, i scooped up some gunk from the bottom of my outdoor pond, put it in some tights then hung it in the tank.
Does anyone know what these are of if theyre dangerous? :confused:

okay on much closer inspection there are two types of bugs, one type is SLIGHTLY larger and kinds looks like a torpedo for its body but then two circles for the tail and it moves in fast long jerks.
The other looks like a circle with a tiny stump coming out for a tail

Ive tried google but cant find anything that looks like them!

Ive tried to draw a pic haha, sorry its rubbish, but the bugs are tiny!

pond bugs.png

Ah thanks, it seems i have two types of copepods in my tank! hmm, are they bad?

Most likely they are the same species, it´s just that the ones with the "balls" ar carrying eggs.
They are harmless and quite beneficial as they will process organic matter and help maintain a stable environment.

When I buy daphnia for my larvae then those dudes are in the same bag as well. But they'll end up being eaten. Ha!

Ah well I'll leave them be then :) seems stitch has some flatmates

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back