Out door enclosures

darswed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
John
I am planning some out door enclosures,
My options are plastic tub type, or purpose brick built ? both would be "in ground" with only a proportion above ground to help cope with winter temps.
I would like any pros and cons of both types please. And indeed any other suggestions most welcome !
thanks
john

I like the waterland tubs, but they are pricey. I plan on building my own version out of wood and fiberglass this spring. My plan it to have it on wheels so it is mobile. You can make an in-ground setup that is really nice, but if your breeding you will probably want more flexibility. If your trying to control a blood line, and you have several pairs to breed separately a large in- ground enclosure isn't going to be the best, you would end up having to do timesharing or something. For a scalable solution I am thinking roughly a 4ft X 2X2 box made of pressurized wood and lined with fiberglass with one third of it separated for land. I am thinking that if I cut 4 inch PVC in half length wise and use it as barrier trim around the edge to prevent any escapes. Another idea is to use pipe heating cable to insure that brumation temperatures do not fall below a set temperature. This is much less of a concern for in-ground enclosures as you have fairly consistent temperature below grade. Another consideration is being able to enclose it with plastic as humidity is a major breeding trigger, this is much cheaper with a smaller enclosure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back