Cloudy tank...but the filter stresses axxie out! Help!

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 5.5 inch female axxie has recently moved from a very inappropriate tank to a much more natural, cooler and empty tank. However, it is only 6 UK gallons and is therefore very small.

I was awake most of the night to make sure she didn't go into temp shock after I moved her (she had actually moved from a 26 degree tank! How she was okay I will never know!) and I noticed that at first she was a little jumpy then she settled down behind her new sleeping jug.

However, here is the problem. She only came out and started to be active (and even eat a little of the bloodworm I had for her) when the pump seized up (it's an old pump - it's a Powerhead AR620, which I don't think is actually a filter). Up to that point she would just sit behind the jug with her gills occasionally twitching (they do this when she rests). We noticed the current was very strong so we pointed the head of the pump towards the back of the tank to try and reduce the current, but it still freaked her out. As soon as I turn it on, she rushes behind her jug and tries to get away from it.
I also (bad owner!) did not remove the bloodworm straight away, which I know really makes the water stinky and cloudy. I thought I could pick it up with my net, but I didn't realise it would take all of her sand with it. I think I will definetely have to try a feeding jar as I am currently only feeding her bloodworms,

The water was crystal clear until I came home from work at about 5, and now it's cloudy. I know this wasn't helped at all by me leaving the bloodworms in there but I thought they might calm her down and help make the move easier if I left them there for her to snack on - classic beginner's mistake, I guess, especially seeing as stressed axxies do not eat. The tank is only 6 gallons, so are there any pumps I could use to help me keep the water clear? (Obviously I won't be leaving worms about again either!)
I was thinking of this...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Wa...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1364670865&sr=1-1

Opinions please? I really don't want her water to get cloudy. Also, how can I make sure there is oxygen in her water as, at the moment, I don't have another pump I can use. I have done a 20% water change to try and clear it a little but I know I will definetely need a filter. One more question: can the water conditioner harm the axolotl? I am basically making up freshly dechlorinated water and adding it as I top up (I know you are supposed to leave it 48 hours ideally but I didn't realise it would get cloudy so fast!)

Please help us out, as I don't want this to make her ill. Thank you for reading but advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
The powerhead looks like it's just a pump which creates water flow. You won't need that in with your axie.

I've been using an interpet filter with my axie and it's been working well. You can also reduce the flow, however it's still quite strong even on the lowest setting. I've placed some plastic plants in front of the outlet to reduce the flow further. - Some people also tie sponges etc in front.
The interpet filter in my fish tank broke down after a few weeks, so I replaced that with a fluval. To be honest the Fluval seems to be even better. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluval-U1-U...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1364683377&sr=1-1 This one might fit in your tank too, but you might have to put something in front of it to reduce the flow further.

The other option is to use a sponge filter. A lot of axie owners on here use them. They're cheap and don't have any current, apart from adding an air pump. If you use a sponge filter you'd have to keep the tank really clean as they do not have mechanical filtration like a hanging filter.
Many people have a turkey baster so they can suck all the waste out of their tank when they use sponge filters. Siphons are also great too for removing bloodworm!

Just keep up with 20% daily water changes to keep the water clean for now. The water dechlorinator is important so don't forget to add that. The oxygen in the tank isn't too important as your axie can come up for breaths of air. You could add an air stone into the tank. Basically just and air pump, the tubing and an air stone on the end.

Don't panic, you're doing well so far :happy:

From your description I'm fairly positive the tank has become cloudy due to high ammonia. What you have now is not a filter, but just a pump the creates water flow (which adds oxygen so oxygen levels aren't to worry about). My suggestion is to not even use the 6 gallon tank and go for a big plastic tub. You can find a cheap 15 gallon one and then use a sponge filter. You'll need to cycle the sponge filter as well. The tub wont be pretty, but your axolotl will be happier.

I use an aquarium vacuum (just a siphon pump) that can pick up the waste and take water out of the tank without sucking out the sand with it. They're a pretty cheap way to keep things clean and easier than a net. You might just want to do more frequent water changes while your little one is in a smaller tank, but you will want to put it in a bigger container/aquarium as it grows. If you're willing to do water changes pretty often and clean out the excess bloodworms you don't need a filter, I'm not using one on my 20 gallon that I have my juvies in, but I do keep their water clean and such up extra bloodworms when they're done eating.

Thanks for all your answers!

I'm doing frequent water changes - one every morning, even if the water isn't cloudy, usually about a third or so. The water I use is always dechlorinated, even for this tiny amount, as I'd rather not risk the chlorine. After this incident, I did a full water change and it all went back to normal, and Toothless is relaxed again. I also sift through the sand and pick up anything I see floating in the water (until I get a turkey baster, which will be helpful!) I'll still try the Interpet (I kinda already ordered it >.<) and will try the sponge filter - EJ had a really good idea for using a household sponge when I first came here, and that will help massively. Also, the feeding jar works a treat! (Although it took two days for her to get used to it, nearly all the waste is eliminated - apart from the odd one that gets out and her leavings, of course!).
I won't use the tub only because I think she's used to the tank now, and I really don't mind doing the water changes, but I will remember that for the future. It'll definetely
come in handy in a pinch! I'm also hoping for a big tank soon, just waiting to save up.

How often do you guys clean the sand? I might look into siphon filters (my brother can teach me how to use them) but will they clean the sand too? I'm just wondering whether I should even do so with a filter, and how you guys do it?

I syphon once a week AT LEAST. Syphoning does clean sand but it also counts as your water change because obviously you're taking water out as you syphon.
I feel like you're trying to do things the hard way.
If you don't have filtration or any aeration, your water could become stagnant. Stagnant water has decreased oxygen content and higher ammonia and nitrate levels, states that are toxic. Healthy axolotls and fish require good water quality to thrive, and preventing stagnant water comes down to changing the water regularly (which you do) but i'm sure that has gotten old really fast.
If you had a sponge filter and you syphoned once or twice a week, you wouldn't have to constantly do water changes.
If you're looking for a legit filter, i love these ones
Tetra Usa Inc. - Whisper In-Tank Filters 10i for Aquariums - 1 Filter | eBay
Also, moss balls can help with water clarity and absorb nitrates. For being a plant, they don't need much light.

Thanks Hannah!

Unfortunately doing things the hard way is a side effect of not knowing the easy way :) I will be getting the new filter hopefully tomorrow. Isn't doing water changes technically providing fresh oxygen and removing a lot of the ammonia too? (Just a bit worried I'm putting Toothless at risk, as I've just seen someone's poor axxie who was killed by ammonia poisoning, that poor owner too, they obviously loved him very much). I really don't mind doing them, it's become a bit of a habit actually, and obviously they'll be cut down a bit when the filter arrives. (One water change a week! Imagine that.)

If the filter doesn't work out I'll look at the Tetra Whispers. A good deal of people on here recommend them highly.

Yes, doing water changes is the right thing to do, but it'll be much better once your filter does come. Props to you for keeping up with all the water changes!

@Hannah - Oh, it's no problem really. I'm on Easter holidays at the moment so it's not too bad - plus, I can watch her for hours!

Toothless now has a 15 Gallon tank, with a fantastic filter that doesn't bother her and an air bar, which she loves, and the water is crystal clear! I'm also still using a feeding jar as it does prevent mess - although it needs a lot of patience as Toothless takes about an hour or so to spot the food! I also got a siphon for extra hoovering too ^^

Thanks for all your advice everyone! Would you recommend a tank change every week, even with a fully filtered tank with an air bar, to keep the ammonia down? And how much? I've read a 20% water change every week is advisable.

@Hannah - Oh, it's no problem really. I'm on Easter holidays at the moment so it's not too bad - plus, I can watch her for hours!

Toothless now has a 15 Gallon tank, with a fantastic filter that doesn't bother her and an air bar, which she loves, and the water is crystal clear! I'm also still using a feeding jar as it does prevent mess - although it needs a lot of patience as Toothless takes about an hour or so to spot the food! I also got a siphon for extra hoovering too ^^

Thanks for all your advice everyone! Would you recommend a tank change every week, even with a fully filtered tank with an air bar, to keep the ammonia down? And how much? I've read a 20% water change every week is advisable.

That's awesome! What i do is during the week, i don't syphon. But every Saturday i have to syphon up the whole weeks mess therefore i'm doing about a 20% water change, if that makes sense. Then again, i have a 29gal..

I was able to make a sponge filter pretty cheap off ideas from YouTube

To work out how much water needs to be changed - test the water for
Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate before you change out the water & then test after water replaced. Then you can gauge what percentage of water you changed & if more is needed. Keep a log of all testing readings & water changes.

Removing wastes (poop / uneaten food) should be done regularly in smaller tanks <100Gal - leaving it to be a weekly task means that the waste load & toxins will be way higher than if removed as soon as it's noticed. You really shouldn't leave poo for a week for any animal - imagine kitty litter after a whole week? The axolotls tank is it's kitty litter tray & it's constantly living in its own waste :eek: so keeping it's tank as clean as you can means better living conditions :)

What are the current parameter readings for your tank? (Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate / ph) Do you know
if the tank has cycled? Are you getting Nitrate readings & zero Nitrite?

<3 >o_o< <3

Hey guys.

I've had to replace her old filter with a brand new one as the output was a little rubbish, so I'll get new foams for it and replace them. The new one I have is a PF Mini, which is recommended for tanks up to 9 Gallons. Not ideal, but it'll keep the flow going for a little while while I get fresh foams for the PF 1 (designed for up to 15 gallons, unfortunately I threw away its old foams because someone washed them out under tap water, destroying all the beneficial bacteria, and anyway, they were dirty and bent out of shape).

I'm hoping the carbon filter inside the new PF Mini will keep the Ammonia down. As for poops, I found a store down town that sold me a turkey baster and have freshly 'hoovered' the tank for old bloodworm and poop, looking under all the ornaments etc.

Now for my shameful admittance. I have very little money at the moment so I have had to wait until now to be able to buy an API Master Testing Kit, which I will buy today. Apart from replacement foams, this is the only thing I had left to buy when I moved Toothless. I hope to get all the water tested once it comes. My nearest marine pet store is a good few hours away even by bus, and I can't drive, so I can't get it tested that way. I will do the readings once I get the kit to be sure the tank is cycling properly.

Is it normal for axolotls to be very active during the day sometimes,swimming around the tank quickly and sometimes rubbing their noses all over the tank front? The water is 18 degrees so it's not heat stress, but she's quite energetic, swimming around the tank and especially in the corners and sides. Is this a sign there may be ammonia in the tank?

Is it normal for axolotls to be very active during the day sometimes,swimming around the tank quickly and sometimes rubbing their noses all over the tank front? The water is 18 degrees so it's not heat stress, but she's quite energetic, swimming around the tank and especially in the corners and sides. Is this a sign there may be ammonia in the tank?

It probably depends on the axolotl. My juvenile spends most of his time swimming around. I've read that they are a little more lazy once they reach adulthood. :D

Getting anywhere in Cornwall is a bit of a hassle sometimes (I had to stop and think whether I'd seen any pet stores in Truro. I probably just ignored them.) The sole saving grace of having my axolotls in Falmouth is that it shouldn't be too hard to find worms for sale as bait for fishing!

Carbon doesn't get rid of anything. All carbon does is make the water look nice and clear, but there is no biological filtration in carbon.

@The Axolotl Whisperer: I remember reading somewhere that activated carbon helps to neutralise ammonia, and that's what I assumed the carbon layer was. The filter manual also claims that it provides a site for bacteria in the two 'plain foam' layers, which aids the biological filtration, although of course you're right that it doesn't provide actual biological filtration, just a site. The plain foam provides mechanical filtration and the carbon foam provides chemical filtration. I really hope the cycle is establishing now, but I'll have to wait until I get my Test Kit to check. Thanks for pointing that out; do you have any more tips apart from water testing and regular water changes to keep ammonia down?

@Pondweed: For sure! It's an amazing place to live and we do have a small selection of shops but not many people have axxies down here. My local pet shop has NOTHING for marine life except Goldfish food. Tri Mar Aquaria is by far the best I have found so far for axxies and other exotic pets (they sell all the treatments; it was where I got Toothless from). My next stop is to find a good Earthworm seller and like you said, there's plenty of bait shops about!

@Snugglytime: Thank you! I was getting a little worried. I had read that being very active could be parasites, heat stress or high ammonia, and I knew it wasn't two of them. But I did a full water change only two days ago, when she was newly moved in, and I have removed all the waste today, so hopefully it's not that. She's roughly 4-6 months (I'm really not sure, she's 6 inches but I have no idea if she's fully grown, she has white fingertips now though). Thanks for your reassurance! :) I am a paranoid axxie mommy as she's only been with me a few weeks :errr:

Carbon doesn't do anything its not really acceptable for the main filtration. You need bio filtration mechanical and chemical are optional. That's why sponge filters work because you only need biological. Mechanical just helps make the tank look nice and chemical can help in situations but I prefer not to use any chemical filtration.

I don't think the carbon is the main filtration, there's only 1 carbon sponge in there and 2 plain foams which, from what I can tell, get most of the detritus and bacteria. I probably ought to say, too, that this tank is cycling at the moment, and Toothless isn't in there with it. She's in a nursing tank.

What's the problem with chemical filtration? Forgive my ignorance, but it sounded like a good thing in the manual. Does it mess up your tank in any way?

I just have a bias towards chemical filtration and HOB filter inserts. I started with HOBs and their inserts and it worked don't get me wrong, but its just a big hassle that isn't necessary. I don't like to use chemical filtration because if you do you tend to depend on it, If you keep all your levels in tact naturally you don't have to depend on anything and keep buying the chemicals and inserts. Personally I would ditch the inserts and just get some filter floss and ceramic media. It'll be more self-sustaining and easier to deal with IMO.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back