Question: Hide Dimensions?

anasiana

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to get myself a juvenile axolotl soon, but before I do that, I want to make sure I have a good hide for him. I've been looking around a lot, and have been bombarded with a ton of options. So I wanted to ask all of you experienced axie keepers what your recommendations are!

What is the best size to have, preferably one that could be used from juvenile to adult?
How large should the openings be to fit them comfortably, and how many openings should there be?
And finally, where is the best place to put them in the tank? (back, side, center, etc.)

Thanks so much! :D

Hey! There's a ton of things you could use- from old ceramic potts, plumbing pipes, to "proper" hides! I've got an Exo-Terra reptile hide (which my axy adores), an old ceramic soup mug (where I have smashed off- lack of a better word- some of it for the opening, and sealed with aquarium silica), and a shady spot made from driftwood (which doesn't actually drift.. hmm. If you use this- wash it about 10000 times before adding it, ha).
I would say, if you're keeping them in the same tank from juve to adult, may as well just get the bigger adult hides. I think generally its 2-3 inches of an opening (more long than tall, I would assume).
I've also seen that oil burners work a treat (I think thats what they're called?).

Oh, and I forgot your last question! Hmm I my hides on the sides, towards the back, with the driftwood shady area in the centre. Maybe see where you axy(s) like to swim and chill. My girl loves the left hand side of the tank, so I generally leave a space there.

My juveniles LOVE cichlid rocks. They will outgrow them before too long, but they've been perfect so far (and my guys are 4-5.5 inches).

Thanks for all the responses! I'm definitely gonna look into your suggestions, they seem great! I'm definitely going to check out the oil burners too. ;) Thanks guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back