I Want to Breed Axies!

hannahll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hannah
But i don't even know the sex of my own -.-
He/she is probably 9 months old now and the tips of his toes are black.
hannahll-albums-toothless-all-grown-up-picture27915-imag1067.jpg

Helppppp?! :D

Looks like a female to me.

But she's always been my little man... :p

Don't worry- i have a few who have gender swapped on me- was doing roll call today, and it looks like I may have five females instead of the four I was sure of... Two heads' ups I will offer: breeding is definitely not a good idea before they're at least a year old, preferably two (Molly was a year when she started leaving eggs, and it was her second batch when she was a year and a half which has been what i would comsider successful, her sisters Goldie and whatsit are a year and three quarters- both have done small lays in the past three months, goldie's six who have survived just grew their back legs in, and What i believe are whatsit's first clutch are just developing into the taco phase :D) and then as much as you can limit it (e.g, just let her breed once at midwinter if you can) so she doesn't wear herself out.
The second heads up in is about the work that you need to do before you take on breeding- especially on a large scale- are you ready for hundreds of babies and the food requirements (especially financially?), do you have someone who can help you out if you get sick? Whom are you going to sell/ give the babies to? If you are going to ship them once they're old enough, is your local service reliable enough to entrust with such precious cargo?
I've been really lucky with my babies- i've made some wonderful friends through them, and they are my pride and joy. However, it will be a VERY long time before i raise more than a dozen babies again (i currently have 47 whom are still awaiting their forever homes, and the 12 eggs whatsit laid two nights ago)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back