Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help me with what I need to know

hairypumpkin

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wanting to set up my tank again, I've never cared for axolotls before, but I've always wanted one since I was a kid.
I've only taken care of fire bellies and bettas. My last betta died in winter of '10 :(. I've since had my aquarium put up in the garage, but I think it's time to get it down again!

I've been reading lots of threads on here, but I have a few questions. I've actually never heard of a sponge filter before this forum. What is a sponge filter, and what kind of things do I need for it? Just an air pump and tubing? Will I also need to put in an air stone as well, or does a sponge filter cause enough oxygen flow?

What kind of tank thermometer is best?

I was looking at this sponge filter:
Bio Sponge Filter Breeding Fry Betta Shrimp Nano Fish Tank Aquarium Up to 20 Gal | eBay
(the one for a 20g tank. I have a 10g right now, but I plan on getting a 20g long when I find one used)

Thank you all! : )

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wanting to set up my tank again, I've never cared for axolotls before, but I've always wanted one since I was a kid.
I've only taken care of fire bellies and bettas. My last betta died in winter of '10 :(. I've since had my aquarium put up in the garage, but I think it's time to get it down again!

I've been reading lots of threads on here, but I have a few questions. I've actually never heard of a sponge filter before this forum. What is a sponge filter, and what kind of things do I need for it? Just an air pump and tubing? Will I also need to put in an air stone as well, or does a sponge filter cause enough oxygen flow?

What kind of tank thermometer is best?

I was looking at this sponge filter:
Bio Sponge Filter Breeding Fry Betta Shrimp Nano Fish Tank Aquarium Up to 20 Gal | eBay
(the one for a 20g tank. I have a 10g right now, but I plan on getting a 20g long when I find one used)

Thank you all! : )
Take a look at this it tells you everything you need :
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hi,

Sponge filters require an air pump and the tubing. They're so easy to set up, you just attach the tubing and it's done! A lot of axie owners use sponge filters as they don't create a lot of water flow which might disturb your axie. They don't provide mechanical filtration so any mess in the tank would have to be taken out by hand. It's easy enough if you have a turkey baster or siphon to suck the mess out with. :happy:

I've heard most thermometers are fine, except the strip thermometers which aren't meant to be as accurate.

Any more questions feel free to ask. :D

Last edited:

Cahand

Reaction score
Hii!
I personally kind of think sponge filters look weird, I just have a regular filter with a turtle rock nested under neath to prevent heavy flow, and I just have a normal air stone, that's all ya need!
Just more ideas if you are still confused. ( :

hairypumpkin

Reaction score
I think sponge filters look very odd as well! But I want my lotls to have very beautiful gills, so I figure it's a good trade off? haha I will try to camouflage it.

I will stay away from the strip thermometers, and buy a different one. I will probably get that one that as a suction cup on the side. Does it matter where I put it in the tank? I know with bettas you are supposed to put it on the opposite side of the heater. But, obviously with these guys they don't need a heater.

Oh, and should I get an air stone if I have a sponge filter? What size air stone?

Thank you all for your lovely help. : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!