Newbie.

pennypop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Pennypop
Hi there everyone, I'm new to all this and have no idea how to use the site. I'm thinking of getting an Axolotl, so far I have the tank and know wher I can buy 2 from. Can I get some advice on the best things to put in their tanks please?? I hear that floating plants are good?? Thanks.

Hi Penny, I
m pretty new here myself but Ive found so much information and resources here for help.
I would start looking at Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
there is lots of information under the housing and requirements pages.

I also found the Axolotl sub-forum 'tank set ups etc' a great read to research what is safe and not safe for your tank.

For me the must haves after obtaining a tank:
i) Filter (and cycling took a few weeks and constant tests!)
ii)API master freshwater test kit (Other kits may be good - but I like this one)
iii)thermometer
iv)cooler if needed (i use the room aircon)
v)the 'vet fund' - household kitty just incase the worse happens and we need to bring new gilled-children to the vet, incase filter packs it in, to supply food if worms go MIA etc..

and this was even before I got to thinking about rocks, hides, substrate, siphons, food etc!
There is so much information out there, but to me axolotl.org is a great and reliable source to start with.
all the best with your research!

Sorry only just seen the reply, for some reason it didn't show up on my phone! I will check out that site. My tank is set up and I picked up my axolotl's yesterday. Hope yours is going well? How many do you have??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back