Eggs anyone??

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rach
Hi my son's Axy suprisingly covered its tank with eggs on Easter Sunday. i think we may have 200 ish eggs. I want to try to raise some and i have never done so before, we have had our Axy's for over 2 year now and although i thought we ad a male/female combination i wasnt sure! Now i am :rolleyes:

I have read through the previous posts as i dont want to be a reapeat asker!!
but...

what is the usual ratio of eggs actually hatching?
how will i know that they are viable? do i just have to wait and see?
if i have to cull some...how? (the thought of this turns my stomach)

Also she laid on cleanout day!! and as i was unaware she was going to do this i have had to use old tank water which i have topped up with room temp bottled water?

and lastly does anyone want some eggs? i live in Washington, UK

Thanks
And apologies if i have posted in the wrong area

I was told there was a 85% approx hatch ratio. You will know if a egg isnt viable whenthe rest of the eggs start to develop and the other ones just stay as a ball. They will eventually turn cloudy and then die, and mold. If you see any eggs that are not viable i suggest you remove them. Thats the easy part of culling. Also if you dont think you canhome/take care of them all its probably best to cull them as eggs.

Once they hatch you will see genetic weaknesses within the first few weeks. Its normal its through the many years of imbreeding. Im going to assume this is your axies first clutch of eggs so there may be a higher mortality rate but dont quote me on this.

Did you either remove the eggs or remove the axies? They will eat the eggs.
I like the idea of removing the eggs better, put them in a tuperware with an airstone and you just leave them till they hatch.

Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia this is an article on euthanizing amphibians. I use it for worst case scenerio, i had one that had fluid buildup in his abdomen and it got worst and worst and i just couldnt cull it but he stoped eating. I finally did it last night. Its definately not easy no matter how small they are. But i only had one out of 34 have any problems. So dont panic!

Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia this is an article on euthanizing amphibians. I use it for worst case scenerio, i had one that had fluid buildup in his abdomen and it got worst and worst and i just couldnt cull it but he stoped eating. I finally did it last night. Its definately not easy no matter how small they are. But i only had one out of 34 have any problems. So dont panic!

OMG i didnt even think about having to cull them once hatched.... it is her first clutch or batch... i dont know the correct terminology!!
i removed the eggs and put them into a small tank that i had....huge panic/excitement on sunday!!

i have cared for baby tropical fish before but they were all live born not eggs.

thanks for the advice

i am going to see if i can find anyone who might like to take some from me, i certainly dont want to loose them all by taking on too much!!

Youll be fine! Its not to difficult. Just having enough food for them all is the hardest part. What are you planning on feeding them? Bbs or daphnia or?

Hi there
Last year I raised 130 for the first time, it was an amazing experience but was a lot of work as I raised them in individual containers from 4 weeks - 4 months. Cleaning those containers out and refilling each day did take hours. I am keen to do it all again this year but want to look after 20 eggs instead. I think it is easier finding good homes for a smaller amount. And I think it will be the same amount of fun.
Enjoy the experience, how awesome that you got 300 eggs on Easter. And don't forget to post lots of pictures for us.

Youll be fine! Its not to difficult. Just having enough food for them all is the hardest part. What are you planning on feeding them? Bbs or daphnia or?

brineshrimp, i have ordered some eggs to get a start on things. :eek:

i am excited as i love these little monkeys!!!

Hi there
Last year I raised 130 for the first time, it was an amazing experience but was a lot of work as I raised them in individual containers from 4 weeks - 4 months. Cleaning those containers out and refilling each day did take hours. I am keen to do it all again this year but want to look after 20 eggs instead. I think it is easier finding good homes for a smaller amount. And I think it will be the same amount of fun.
Enjoy the experience, how awesome that you got 300 eggs on Easter. And don't forget to post lots of pictures for us.

i know i couldnt believe it when i looked in the tank and i thought what on earth is that...then another...then another !!:D

I just cant wait to see some sort of change in them

i know i couldnt believe it when i looked in the tank and i thought what on earth is that...then another...then another !!:D

I just cant wait to see some sort of change in them

You will love it! Have you got a camera with a good lens? If you do you will be able to capture the process. Your excitement is infectious. I can't wait until July, I will be really ready for eggs by then.

not an excellent camera but ok...i keep looking at them lol. so so IMPATIENT!!!!:p

I took pictures from day one up until now, every few days! I love laying in bed looking at them!
I use my iphone 4 for all my pictures and what i found works the best is if i take a flashlight and just shine it from the side of the tuperware container not directly at what i want to take a picture of and i find my phone does closeups a lot better that way.

I was so impatient as well! Always watching them! Wait till they start twitching in their eggs! If i could figure out a way other then youtube id so upload the video of my eggs twitching!
Its the greatest thing ive done in a while, being able to see them starring at you in their egg, and when they hatch watching them grow! But i agree, its is best when you only have 50 or under to take care of :p but im sure youd have no problemfinding someone willing to rear a few eggs for you. I have 30 and that is plenty for me! Haha i dont know where i would put more. I cant wait till some of them are old enough to be homed. I have i think 20with homes so 10 will be a lot more managable at 2" lol

quick update. aprox 25% of the eggs have developed. most that havent are not at a cloudy or mouldy stage so i am just keeping an eye on them at the minute. My developing eggs have been seperated and some of which have been rehomed and the 12 ish others i have kept.
i thought i would post a photo so you can see their development :happy:

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 210
Another quick update.. I think I saw two flick a bit tonight or I am imagining it? :proud:

Another quick update.. I think I saw two flick a bit tonight or I am imagining it? :proud:

Probably not your imagination :)i use to watch them forever just so i could see them move around in their eggs. Such a magical thing to get to experience <3

i saw a definate twitch this morning in one of them!! :eek: i was sooo excited but my son who was looking at the same time was not impressed as he missed it:rolleyes:

I have had at least one twitcher since they arrived this morning :D

My son saw one twitch this morning!!! He has taken 2 into school i have given his teacher care instructions, they are just keeping them till friday (i dont think they will hatch by then) so they can look at them as they are also doing about underwater creatures at aschool. i have sent in a lot of pictures with them too my son is super excited to show his classmates his babies :happy:

I bet you'll be setting up a tank at the school sooner or later ☺

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back