Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising Laotriton laoensis

steven1969s

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I recently got some Laotriton laoensis juveniles from a local breeder. I planned on raising them in my newt room, however, the temps in my newt room are currently around 60f.
Is this too cold for them? I read different threads and nobody specifies what temps to raise these guys in.
One person wrote he raised his at 70f.
Mine are not eating good so I'm a little worried.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If they aren't eating good it is a good idea to ask the breeder. I've kept laotriton in my cold basement and in my 70F ish living room. The ones in the warmer room seem to be bigger eaters.

steven1969s

Reaction score
The breeder also kept them at around 70, but before I bought them I mentioned to him that my newt room was around 60f and he said that they should be fine.
I guess I'll be moving them to a different room with higher temps.

Thanks very much Michael.

Sawyer

Reaction score
I've had mine at around 60f temps and are currently at 70-74f. In each setting they have done good and are growing. When I first received mine I noticed they weren't eating, or not visibly atleast. So to fix this problem I put a dish in the set up with a paper towel and with sterilized hands I placed each one on the paper towel with blackworms on it and from the beginning they devoured the worms. Now I just place the blackworms on the paper towel at night and by morning all are gone.

steven1969s

Reaction score
Last night I realized how important it is to keep them at around 70f. Two hours after moving them to a warmer room they immediately accepted black worms. I have been trying to feed them for about a month without any success.
Things are looking good now.

Steve

fabian

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1