Remove swallowed gravel?

RecentGrad12

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I decided to put a few live ghost shrimp in my axie tank. Figured they'll clean up the tank, give the axie's something to hunt, and hey! tasty snack if they happen to catch one.

Didn't realize that the guy at the pet store added a few pieces of gravel (by accident, I'm sure)....until I saw one of the axie's swallowing it. Got it down before I could get him out and take it from him.

Is there any way to remove it once it's swallowed? It was a fairly small piece, smaller than the width of an earth worm (which he eats readily).

What signs of trouble should I look for, and what can I do about it now? I searched out any other pieces of gravel (there were four) and took them out. Now I know to be looking carefully if I ever add any ghost shrimp again...

Hey there, sorry no way to remove once swallowed (looks like you'll be on poop watch for a while).

What kind of substrate is in your tank, hopefully it will be easy to see the gravel if it gets passed ?

You might not need to do anything if it's a small piece, it might just pass through normally and you can remove it from the tank.

You will need to wait and watch I'm afraid, if your Axie seems to suddenly stop eating and pooping then you might need to fridge him (use the step by step guide on here it's easy to follow) this helps them to pass the gravel.

Good luck, keep us posted on any progress :happy:

dont worry i foolishly had my 2 axies eat about 20 pebbles between the two of them when i first got them. your axie will poop it out no problem.

When mine swallowed gravel, i put him in the fridge for a day to see if he would regurgitate it and he did! Found the gravel sitting in his container a few hours later.

I got Dany over a month ago, from a pet store keeping her on regular aquarium gravel (I think it's 5mm, to be technical) and she's pooped it all out (there was actually quite a lot- I could see it in her stomach!). Since yours only had one small one, it shouldn't be much of a worry. Keep an eye out for when it's out!

It was pet store size gravel, and he has grown considerably in the two weeks I've had him (from about three inches to about 5 1/2). Hopefully he'll just pass it like you said.

I don't have a substrate in that tank. Only LARGE river rocks (the kind you get at Hobby Lobby in the wedding aisle). The smallest is a little smaller than the size of my palm. Figured those were big enough to not have to worry about.

I'll be on the watch, and be reading on up on refrigeration in the mean time :)

Thanks for the reassurance guys. It's appreciated xD

I bought a Golden albino off a lady about 4 months ago who said she had her in a tank with with white sand( didn't see the tank she was in, already in bag when i got there) but i still find half 5mm white pebbles in her poop, there was a lot at first maybe 6 pieces in one poop sticking out and now ill find one or two the occasional time. just try to take them all out after they poop which is usually after feeding and water changes

I'm sure that amount of gravel will clear - make sure to feed lots regularly so whatever gravel is coated well & pushed through the intestines.

Another thing I would suggest is to always quarantine anything you purchase like live feeders / shrimp, another axolotl - for a decent period of time so you know you aren't adding disease / parasites or other issues to your axolotls precious environment.

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back