Help please, escapee!

l0uiswh0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was away for six days on a family emergency, and came back to find that my paddletail has busted out.

How long can they survive out of water?

What sort of places would he seek out?

What should I do if I find him alive?

I'm so upset. I lost a CFB like this, he dried out and died. That was on carpet, but this room is a cold wooden floor.

I have just read that they can only survive five to ten minutes on dry land, can anyone corroborate this?

They can survive for longer if the conditions are right. Try looking in what might be the dampest places. Leaving a plate with water or moist towels around might do it. The chances are not great but you never know.
In the future make absolutely sure that the tank has a tight fitting, 100% scape proof lid.
Also, Pachytriton would only try to scape if conditions are not suitable (in principle), so check that all parametres are acceptable and the housing is apropriate.

Thanks for the reply Azhael, I've checked floor level all around the room as and found nothing so far. I'm pretty resigned to stumbling across a corpse at some point :/ but I will put down some moist towels on the off-chance... It sounds crazy but I'm so paranoid about this happening that I leave saucers of water around the room normally, but they were/are vacant, so I'm guessing he got stuck somewhere and died.

I figured out that he climbed the air line and dislodged the tape holding the seal in place. I'm so angry at myself, I should have checked all the seals on all the tanks before I rushed off.

Have you thoroughly checked his tank on the of chance he is in hiding?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back