Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often to feed?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have 2 new axolotl's at 1 1/2 inch and 2 inches they aren't exactly babies and they aren't exactly Juvies. I have no idea how often I should be feeding them. I am feeding them half a cube of bloodworms until I can find a supplier for earthworms.

Yesterday I got them both to eat some but when I went to feed the bigger one today he ran away from the food, I dropped it in front of him just like yesterday but he got startled.

mikeg

Reaction score
I fed mine everyday until 4 inches on daphnia, blood worms and or brine shrimp.Then i fed every other day on blood worms, black worms, pellets, and or daphnia. When they reached 6 inches plus i feed them every 3-4 days on pellets, earthworms, and or nighcrawlers.

If you haven't yet check, ebay for worms i found worms there in HIGH volume for a rather low price.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I fed mine twice daily with bloodworms and brine shriml till about 3" now i feed once a day.

I never thought about ebay for worms! I must check it out! Im still feeding mine bloodworms just because i cant find nightcrawlers.

mikeg

Reaction score

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Thanks! We fish in the summer too so it will be a axie/fishing box o worms.
The axies just give me a good reason to buy bulk worms!
I cant afford that much right yet but its definately up there on my list(i mean thats a great bargain in the long run)

mikeg

Reaction score
I feed mine every 3 days about 6 worms ( have 7 adult axolotl) and i haven't even made a dent in the population yet lol. Yeah was thinking the same thing good for bass season;):D Sure beats the heck outta $5 for 20

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I can't order nightcrawlers I have no place to keep them lol. But its nice to know I am feeding them right :)

mikeg

Reaction score
I keep mine in the box they come with in the garage. It comes with two packs of icepacks i rap one in a plastic rap and put it in the box with the worms as the other stays frozen in the freezer when the one in the box is melted i rotate, the ice doesn't get dirty because i have it rapped so its not touching anything

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Sounds like my boyfriends mom is cool with me making a wormfarm in the back yard :D

tigmades

Reaction score
Sounds like my boyfriends mom is cool with me making a wormfarm in the back yard :D

I just wanted to mention if you do this, canadian night crawlers are a nono - they require cold temps (like around 40F cold), are slow to breed... so you'd be better off getting either red wrigglers (rinse well before serving as they secret icky tasting mucus, smaller, but reproduce quickly), european nightcrawlers or african night crawlers (some say they reproduce faster some say slower, larger, don't secret mucus). I think I"m ordering some of each ^_^

If you live near the border, you can order through thewormdude.com, have it shipped to a parcel pick up place then drive across to pick it up. I'm doing a group order for people who live here and have fish or axies, as it's cheaper in bulk.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I was going to get red wigglers ... why would I get Canadian nightcrawlers? They are hard to even find here.

tigmades

Reaction score
*smacks forhead* sorry, I got your comment mixed with alkylehalides... Was thinking you may have meant to buy from the source above which is canadian night crawlers and I just wanted to help out my saying those wont work for an outside worm bin. I'm sick ATM so sorry for scrambling things ^_^;;

RenitaO

Reaction score
I have 2 new axolotl's at 1 1/2 inch and 2 inches they aren't exactly babies and they aren't exactly Juvies. I have no idea how often I should be feeding them. I am feeding them half a cube of bloodworms until I can find a supplier for earthworms.

Yesterday I got them both to eat some but when I went to feed the bigger one today he ran away from the food, I dropped it in front of him just like yesterday but he got startled.

I've raised a few axies and I fed them every day when they were that young, about what you're feeding them. They'll always eat more lol. If they get startled by the food, I usually just replace it in front of them when they settle.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Mudkip shot up to 3 inches in 2 weeks ... So I have been feeding him more lol

Countryhorse

Reaction score
Hi,
How long do those worms last?
Was wondering abotu winter feeding as right now I just go to the garden outside and get worms, but when the ground is frozen....I may just start a compost as well but an inside worm bin doesn't produce as many worms as one might think,
Anyway,
Do you refrigerate the worms and how long will they last?
Thank you,
Angela

I fed mine everyday until 4 inches on daphnia, blood worms and or brine shrimp.Then i fed every other day on blood worms, black worms, pellets, and or daphnia. When they reached 6 inches plus i feed them every 3-4 days on pellets, earthworms, and or nighcrawlers.

If you haven't yet check, ebay for worms i found worms there in HIGH volume for a rather low price.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Bloodworms last a while you can buy them throughout the winter but earthworms are harder to find :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1