Question: New CFB ;)

Alfredo21

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just got this guy last night. I do have another cfb so I got him a friend. As of right now he is in a tighly contained plastic critter keeper with some live plants and a hide. I believe its a boy but I am not entirely positive. He was out of the water when I got him and still does not seem to interested in actually being in water. I gave him extra small crickets and brine shrimp but still hasn't touched them and its been 24 hours. And he is on the skinny side. When I asked them what they were feeding him they said nothing. They got then in acouple of days ago and still hadn't fed them!
I would like to put him in my established tank with Alfredo but he's alittle smaller than my Alfredo who I have had for over a year. How long should I wait before introducing them?
3erudeby.jpg

ju3ysa4u.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hi!

great little boy you got! :D

Food;
the food you are giving him is not the best food for cynops orientalis. the best are chopped earthworms and chironomus (they totally love it). if you can't get them, you can also use daphnia, tubifex... brine shrimp are too small for your newt.

how smaller is he? if not too much (alfredo is the double of him, or can swallow him), there's no problem.

for the waiting question, it depends. are you used to do the quarantine process? if not you can put it with alfredo when you desire. if you want to do quarantine, you should wait 1-2 months...

your choice :D

oh and i forgot one thing. can you tell the dimensions of this newt? because if he is too small, it means is a juvanile specimen, and juvanile cynops live out of the water for 1 year and more. if he is adult, and still won't go in the water, just leave him out, but inside the tank with the water, so he can choose. if he stays out for weeks, he's definitely not ready for water yet.

It´s most definitely an adult and the reason it won´t go into the water is because of the severe stress it has suffered and the inadequacy of water conditions. It will only go aquatic once the stress subsides and only if water conditions are optimal.
I would strongly advice you to follow a quarantine of no less than a month. That animal is not in good shape.
Remember to offer a minimum of 10 gallons of water for stability and plenty of plants near the surface so that the animal feels safe.

Ill do a size comparison but I would like to keep him quarantined. But I do not have room to set up a whole 10 gallon. But could. I make it work for the time being in the 1 gal critter keeper? is the freeze dried tubifex ok? I don't think I can get frozen here. And I did get these little mini earth worms. And I also have bloodworms.

1 gallon? No. There is no way you will be able to maintain stable, optimal conditions in there.
You can get cheap, large tupperware that are big enough. Maybe you can find some place for one.
Freeze-dried tubifex are like feeding paper...very insufficient. Stick to earthworms and perhaps the odd waxworm to encourage feeding and add some bulk. Don´t abuse bloodworms, they are nutritionally incomplete.

Ok thank you. Ill see if I can order frozen tubflex.

Well I came home today with a bunch of new live plants and excited to set up his New home.. and found him dead..... he was bloated and stiff. ... I feel so bad.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back