Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can anyone tell me what kind of newt this is?

Zenna

Reaction score
I found a newt in my cousins pond the other day and I thought it was the cutest thing! But i would love to know If anyone can tell me what kind of newt this is, It's brown ontop and orange on the bottom, with little black toes. I can get a better picture tomorrow But yeah, Can anyone tell me what type of newt/salamander this is, and what I could feed it?

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 287

Zenna

Reaction score
Haha I dont know what it is, But its very cute and i love its toes <3 haha Ill upload more pics when i get home ^^

Zenna

Reaction score
Would aquarium gravel be alright in the bottom of his tank? I know with my axolotls it's a big no-no but do I have to worry about him eating it?

JReed

Reaction score
I agree with the other response here. I think its a Taricha granulosa. They can get very tame and can even learn eat from you hand. They have lots of personality. Just wash your hands after holding them as they let out toxins ( but usually handling them is not a problem at all).

As for food, they love to eat cut-up live earthworms, crickets and live bloodworms.

As for adding gravel, I frankly wouldn't bother with it.

frogman

Reaction score
That does not look like a T. Gran. At least from the shape of the head and the dorsal ridges. It looks more like an Eastern Newt to me.

frogman

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, you guys are totally right. I have not seen or kept grans for years and I just looked through some of my old pics and there is quite a resemblance haha. So Ignore everything I said, it does look like a rough skinned newt. The only thing that threw me was the pointed head shape, I remember mine having a more rounded front.

Zenna

Reaction score
Ive done alot of research, and hes getting used to me, i can feed him by hand, but i have to move slow or it spooks him, hes actually really cute and quite social otherwise :p I put gravel in the bottom of his tank just to give it some color, but he stays in the water almost all the time, sometimes he pokes his head out but thats about it, is this normal? Can i take him out and hold him occasionally? just curious so I dont end up killing him o:

Attachments

• newton.jpg
    newton.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 162
  • newton2.jpg
    newton2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 139
  • newton3.jpg
    newton3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 163
  • newton4.jpg
    newton4.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 140
  • newton5.jpg
    newton5.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 176

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
These guys are primarily aquatic. A deep, heavily planted tank will suit them well.

You can't handle them. Like all amphibians, they have sensitive skin that can be damaged with handling.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Putting gravel in with the newt is risky, as impaction can occur (accidental swallowing of gravel during feeding). Also, I would go with a substrate with a more natural color. Brightly colored pink gravel would probably not be the most natural for the newt.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Definitely Taricha granulosa, which is the only newt both native and widespread in BC. All BC wildlife is protected and may not be kept as pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!