Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP - Moving sick Axolotl

mariaaa

Reaction score
Ok, so I've tried finding Rufus a home (in/near Luton), but it's just not working...

He (I think) is a white axi, and since my brother started looking after him (I went to uni) his health has gone downhill, drastically. (My brother kept forgetting to check on him, the pump broke, and there was a mouldy towel in there, and he didn't even notice... Fool! (Annoyed is an understatement)

The fluff has gone from his gills, he's a bit swollen round the belly, and he's recently lost his appetite.

I can't fridge him here, as my mum has a strict "no pets in the fridge" rule, which is fair enough.

HOWEVER, the plan is to move to Lancashire at the end of May, get a job, marry fiance, etc etc.... As I can't find Rufus a home, I might attempt to take him with me, do any of you lovely people have any advice for moving a very fragile axolotl? It's about 3 hours from Luton to Lancashire... Is it worth the risk? How would I do it? (If I take him with me, he is going STRAIGHT into the fridge!!!!!!!!)

Any advice would be AMAZING!!!

Maria x

mariaaa

Reaction score
GREAT NEWS! He just ate :) Happy is an understatement

FX1C

Reaction score
Getting him into a clean tub of water with 100% daily water changes with aged dechlorinated water means he can detox from whatever was in his tank
(I dread to think how bad :eek: )

You can keep him in a tub like that indefinitely (you could add a sponge filter - but still change 100% daily - rinsing the sponge in the water before you change it out) you can even put some floating hornwort / elodea plants in the tub if you can find some.

Then when you move you could either place him in a 20L bucket (1/3 full of water) with lid & place somewhere in the car that is stable. Or go to your local fish shop & buy a couple of large fish bags & some elastic bands. (get them to show you how to tie them up with the elastic bands) fill them 1/3 & then place bagged lotl in a washing basket with a towel or two in the bottom so its all snug cover the basket with another towel - take extra bands & dechlorinted water just in case. If you use the bag you'll have to open it & make sure there is still lots of air in the bag maybe once in the 3hrs (so plan for a lotl put stop :D )

Hope you can get Rufus better :)

Please keep us updated :D

<3 >o_o< <3

mariaaa

Reaction score
I've been doing 50% water changes, it was every day, but I'm doing it every other day now, as there was some sign of improvement (yay!) I was told to avoid 100% water changes, is this a special case? And how do I do a 100% water change if he can't leave water? (I do have a smaller tank, so I can do this if I have to, it's just convincing my brother to do it for me :p )

Bought some Indian Almond Leaves, as smileysam said they help to de-icky the water :) will they help too?

Thanks for the advice on moving him :) I have buckets, so that should be easily sorted :)

Julia was going to take him for me, as she lives near me, but I'm secretly glad that she can't now, it was breaking my heart giving him up :p

Oh, and apparently, he's a she... awkward :p

snuggly time

Reaction score
Don't do 100% water changes in a tank. It will kill any beneficial bacteria.

Nikki's advise is to put him into a separate tub/container for now. His tank water might have toxins in which are harming him. Until you can get the water back to normal it's probably best to remove him from the tank.

If you do put him in a tub it's important to do the 100% water changes every day as it's only in a small amount of water and no filter etc to help neutralize the toxins produced by your axolotl.

mariaaa

Reaction score
He's coming with me! All packed up nicely and ready to go! Exciting!

mariaaa

Reaction score
He's looking a lot better, still not his old self yet, sadly. I thought he had a broken leg today, but false alarm, he was just being an **** :p

He's been in the fridge little over a week now, still a bit bloated, less floaty, and I see some gills coming back!!!!! He's eating better now too. Sulking a lot though :p but I would if I was stuck in a fridge in a tupperware box.

Just about to clean out and set up his new tank now! wooooo!

:)

mariaaa

Reaction score
ha! It blocked out the a-word for bum. That's amusing!!!

mariaaa

Reaction score
Update - he's in his new tank, still not looking his old self, but a lot better. He's a lot more active now too. Here's hoping he gets better! I was beginning to lose hope until we moved him into the tank.

mariaaa

Reaction score
His gills are growing back, he is becoming less and less bloated, he eats and poos regularly, I think I've saved him! So excited to have him back and his old self again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1