Greetings!

Ixxtabb

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all!

I just adopted my first axolotl baby today! After spending a lot of time reading the forums, I figured I should post to say hello! My baby is only a few day only now, having hatched on April 3rd, I believe. I'm still cycling his new 25g home, so he's living in a little plastic critter case for now and eating daphnia. :)

I wonder if anyone has any advice on temperatures to keep young axolotls at, as it's quite hot in my house (I have one freshwater tropical aquarium that sits at an ambient temp of almost 30 degrees/82 Fahrenheit without a heater!). For now, I've been using ice packs on the small case to keep the temperature at around 20 degrees Celsius. I plan to use a chiller on the 25g tank within the next couple weeks after it's fully cycled, but until then it's challenging to keep a steady temperature so I wonder if anyone has any good information on exact temperatures to keep them at certain ages and also if anyone may have advice on good cooling methods. For now I'll be changing the water daily and using cold, distilled water, but it's still a constant struggle... :(

Thanks lots!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of Australians about, me being one of them.

Congrats on adopting your little one. I would suggest keeping the plastic container on the floor in the coolest part of the house. You can direct a fan over the water and this will provide cooling. I would suggest that you use tap water that has water conditioner in it to break the chlorine and chloramine bonds. You can leave a bucket of prepared water ready for your changes. My container has lasted many days now and there is still water there to be used.What do you mean by distiller water? I know what sometimes people have filtered water through Brita systems and this has removed the minerals needed by their axies.

Cheers
Kerry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back