Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White worms forming in Baby axolotl set up. Parasites? Please help!!

marq

Reaction score
White worms in newly hatched Axolotl set up! Please help!

My axolotls just hatched recently, and I started noticing small white worms in the bottom of the container. I don't know what they are or where they came from, but I'm very concerned for my axolotls. I tried looking around online, but couldn't find much info on this. Can anyone help? Does anyone know what they are? What should I do? :( I'm super afraid they'll harm the axolotls!!

This is my first time raising baby axolotls.

Here is the picture:

Attachments

• IMG_20130406_153939.jpg
    IMG_20130406_153939.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 15,999

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Re: White worms in newly hatched Axolotl set up! Please help!

I cant help with identifying them but id suggest you move all your hatchlings into a clean container of dechlorinated water. You should be seperating them from the unhatched eggs anyways.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Here's the culprit: http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/planaria_white_worms/, you might also like this thread dealing with the same issue: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...9976-little-white-worms-my-axolotls-tank.html

They're called Planaria. They thrive off of uneaten food. They won't do your hatched babies any harm, but they will eat unhatched eggs so it's probably best to follow Morrison's advice and clean the tubs thoroughly every day, hoovering up all uneaten food and poop. It doesn't mean you're not clean, it just means there's enough food left in the tubs for these guys to become apparent.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Morrison

Reaction score
Not sure what they are. I'm sorry. But when you have hatchlings (and young axies in general in containers without filters) you need to do 100% water changes daily (or twice a day) so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just keep an eye on them, check if they're still there or even transfer the axies to another clean container.

marq

Reaction score
ok, thank you all!

I will separate the eggs and hatchlings into another container asap. Will the axolotls be ok if they ate the worms? Most have hatched already. Is there a way to get rid of them without harming the axis?

Thanks again!

Here's the culprit: Aquarium FD - Planaria Small Hair like White Worms - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment, you might also like this thread dealing with the same issue: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...9976-little-white-worms-my-axolotls-tank.html

They're called Planaria. They thrive off of uneaten food. They won't do your hatched babies any harm, but they will eat unhatched eggs so it's probably best to follow Morrison's advice and clean the tubs thoroughly every day, hoovering up all uneaten food and poop. It doesn't mean you're not clean, it just means there's enough food left in the tubs for these guys to become apparent.

I hope this helps!

marq

Reaction score
Ok, thank you so much! They're all still fine. None have died or anything. I moved the 4 unhatched eggs into separate containers and two seem to move from time to time. Two of them have not developed as much as the other ones. I'm not sure if they will, but hopefully they're just late.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1