Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small Axolotl

catgardener

Reaction score
I brought this wild type Axolotl last April, he was about 4 inches long. In the last year he has grown a bit longer but has not filled out. I have another Axolotl in the same tank who is 6 months younger but twice as big. Do you think that my small Axolotl will get any bigger?

Attachments

• IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 290

Chirple

Reaction score
At this point I would doubt he will get much bigger. I know it might be an issue when it comes to size difference between the two - just make sure the bigger one can't eat the little one!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Laaine

Reaction score
I would try feeding him more frequently and better quality. I bought an axolotl that was an adult already, and could only buy bloodworms to feed her. She maintained the same size for about a year, which was around 5 inches long from tip of the tail to her mouth.
Then, I bought another axolotl who was rather small and I kept them apart for a little while until he grew to the same size as her.
Then, recently, within the last year, I was able to find them Red Wiggler worms, and Canadian Nightcrawlers and their size has grown substantially since the switch! They are both almost 7 inches long and are very healthy with fluffy gills.

The point is, feeding your axolotl something with little nutrition will not help it grow big and strong! It's the same as as us eating junk food apposed to vegetables when we are young lol. Try giving your axie a variety of things, I really strongly reccommend earthworms from your own garden (so you know they are not poisoned) or if you can buy some at the petstore. :)

catgardener

Reaction score
I would try feeding him more frequently and better quality. I bought an axolotl that was an adult already, and could only buy bloodworms to feed her. She maintained the same size for about a year, which was around 5 inches long from tip of the tail to her mouth.
Then, I bought another axolotl who was rather small and I kept them apart for a little while until he grew to the same size as her.
Then, recently, within the last year, I was able to find them Red Wiggler worms, and Canadian Nightcrawlers and their size has grown substantially since the switch! They are both almost 7 inches long and are very healthy with fluffy gills.

The point is, feeding your axolotl something with little nutrition will not help it grow big and strong! It's the same as as us eating junk food apposed to vegetables when we are young lol. Try giving your axie a variety of things, I really strongly reccommend earthworms from your own garden (so you know they are not poisoned) or if you can buy some at the petstore. :)

Both of them are feed earth worms if it was a nutrition problem they would both be small. My golden axie has 3 inches when I got her. They are both fed 3 to 4 times a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1