Hello, we are two axolotls from Mexico and human

softkitty

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi All,

I adopted two baby axolotls about a month and a half ago. I found a friend on a bus who asked me if I wanted an axolotl. She works in a research lab and explained that they had lot's of unexpected babies. So I ended up with Dunk and Egg, two little leucistic axolotls each inside a plastic bag and a few brine shrimp. I didn't know anything about axolotls so I researched and found this forum that has been my Bible from day one. I have encountered a few problems along the way: 1) finding axolotl food in Mexico City is nearly impossible, 2) Dunk had a floating problem that we took care of, and 3) Dunk has grown way faster than Egg and now is about an inch longer.

This third problem is the reason I made an account. I have read mixed opinions about housing axies together before they reach 6 inches. Dunk is around 4 inches and Egg is about 3. When I got them they measured roughly 2.5 inches. Dunk was a bit bigger but he was missing both of his front arms. He has grown new ones and they look perfect! I always thought he would grow slower because of the extra-energy needed to grow limbs. But I was wrong. Once he learned to associate me with food he started swimming to the surface when I got near his tank and opened and closed his mouth to let me know he is starving. I think this is why we had his floating problem. But I fixed it with a two hour trip to the fridge. After this he was wary of me for one day but has now gone back to his normal self, biting me while I clean the tank or during feeding time.

I'm a bit concerned about Egg. He does eat well and has shown no signs of illness, but he is tiny in comparison to Dunk. He is quite shy too. He hides all the time and absolutely hates when I do water changes or baster their poop. I monitor him every day just to make sure he eats. He always does. But never the ridiculous amounts that Dunk devours. Is it normal for two axolotls to be completely opposites? I have put extra hiding places for Egg, but I guess I want your opinions on if I should house them separately or not.

Thanks, and I am very sorry if this is not the correct place to express my concerns.

If one is bigger than the other or more agressive, definatley put them in different cages. if they are the same, still I wouldn't take my chances. :happy:

This is a picture of Dunk from last week with both of his arms regrown :D

Attachments

• IMG_8133.jpg
    IMG_8133.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 259
Hi EasternNewtDude, thanks for the reply!

Dunk does look a lot bigger than Egg, but he is not aggressive. He seems like a gentle giant and even waits patiently while I hand feed Egg with tweezers. I tried to separate them once with a home-made tank divider since the three pet stores that I visited in Mexico didn't have them. Egg didn't stop swimming from side to side until he figured a way to go to Dunk's side. I tried this three times with different dividers and had the same outcome. I guess since Dunk is not aggressive I will keep them together and just make sure Egg has hiding places. I work at home so I can monitor them throughout the day!

Thanks again and I will look at the link you posted, hopefully they ship to Mexico.

I like your axolotl names. One of mine is named Aegon :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back