Newbie with Two Axolotls and Many Questions

Zp00ky

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a newbie and have two baby axolotls. I have placed them in a 30 gallon bare bottom tank by themselves and have a fluval 105 and 305 connected to the tank. I turned off the fluval 305 as I was worried about too much current and stressin them out even though I directed the flow upward. I would also eventually add some black substrate at some point as I want these guys to stand out (1 true white albino, 1 golden albino). My questions are as follows:

1. Would it be alright to turn the fluval 305 back on without stressing them out too much?

2. What type of black sand is safe. I heard that Estes black sand was safe as it was smooth. However it is not sold locally and rediculously costly to ship to where I live. I have found aqua terra black sand and Carib sea black moon sand available locally but am unsure if these are comparable to Estes black sand and is safe for axolotls. Anyone have any experiences with these sands or could recommend a type of black sand? The reason I want black sand is that it would really make the axolotls stand out!

3. At what point can I add the black sand substrate and at what depth?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

awnser to ques 1: if the light has a steady glow it probably won't stress them out if you turn it on at day and off at night on a regular basis but I wouldn't take my chances:yin-yang:

The Fluvals are canister filters.

I would turn the filter back on and perhaps block the flow with plants or a sponge. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back