Sick baby, bloat? Poss kidney damage?

rachemma

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Ive just got a new axie, less than a week ago, its very young but has been looking a bit sick. When we got it its belly was quite round but i figured the pet store might have been over feeding it. The swelling has increased and ive noticed its jaw and neck is also swolen, what should i do? I dont want it to be suffering, it looks uncomfortable and often gets turned upside down due to its inflated belly. Please help!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20130408_095113.jpg
    20130408_095113.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 761
Yeah i had already read that on the cc site, if its kidney damage then there is no way to fix it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it the most comfortable before it dies, ive thought about euthanising but am unsure...

This might not be very helpful, but could you possibly find a vet with experience in amphibians to ascertain what the cause of the bloating is? Euthanasia will only be necessary if there is no chance the little one will recover. I know it's a long shot but it's a bit of hope. It would be so sad to have to put the little one to sleep :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back