Photo: Healthy Axolotl?

n7megan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Megan
Hey all, I just have a really quick question to ask! I'm a bit of a helicopter parent when it comes to my axolotl, so I wanted to post a picture of him on here and ask the resident experts if he (or she, not sure what the gender is yet) looks healthy! I took the photo with my iPod since I don't have a real camera, so I hope that's not a problem. Also, info on my axolotl is as follows:
Name- Grep
Hatched- December
Diet- frozen bloodworms (recently switched from live blackworms)
Temp in tank sits around 70 Fahrenheit (I know it should be lower but I can't control the room temp in my dorm ): )
Any advice on how to better raise Grep would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Grep with rocks.JPG
    Grep with rocks.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 1,096
Looks like a lovely healthy young axolotl :D
Do keep a close eye on the water temperature, you don't really want it going too much higher. Also try using live earthworm in the diet as bloodworm , nutritionally is not so good.

He or she looks really healthy :) - Not sure which lol!

As Julia said, earthworms are the way to go and most axies love them. :D

Thanks for all the input! I haven't bought anything to monitor the chemical aspects of my tank yet, but I'm pulling the money together at the moment, so I should have that soon. And I have a couple water bottles that I freeze and interchange as needed throughout the day so that's my best option for keeping the tank cool. And alright, I've heard that earthworms are the best, so I'll switch to those once I've used up my bloodworms. Thanks for the advice! I wanted to ask for tips before anything bad happened, just to cover my bases:)

Nice green body,good size,not fat yet not skinny, nice fully and dark gills, clear water, big smile:D

Looks healthy and happy to me;)

Just like mentioned watch the temperature, and feed earthworms later on as a main diet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back