Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much gill curling is too much?

springee

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have only had my axolotl for about 6 months now, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to care for him. However, I am in constant fear that the small amount of curling that his gills SOMETIMES exhibit is too much. The tank has a minimal amount of flow (plant deflection, low output setting on filter), and plenty of shelter is provided. When I wake up in the morning he has absolutely no gill curling, but it seems as the day progresses his gills curl somewhat, and that distresses me (because I feel as though he may be distressed!!) I have been looking at other axolotl pictures online and it seems like he has a little more curling than what is typical in some online pictures, but not by much. I would love some expert advice from all of you guys! I have attached 3 pictures that I took today!

Thanks for all your help,
Springee

Attachments

• Axolotl 1.jpg
    Axolotl 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,831
  • Axolotl 2.jpg
    Axolotl 2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 741
  • Axolotl 3.jpg
    Axolotl 3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,853

Neil C

Reaction score
Your axolotl looks perfectly healthy and I don't see anything unusual about it's gills. Some axolotls gills curl forward naturally. When an axolotls gills curl forward in a really tight curl that is when you should worry. I've also noticed that the gills will curl forward naturally when the animal is smelling out some food that is one the bottom of the tank.'

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1