Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Urgent!!!! Ammonia and nitrite so high!!!!

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
So guys , my fire belly newt tank was on 0 ammonia and nitrite before , but now it has 1.0 ammonia and 5 Nitrite what can i do to reduce nitrite and ammonia? , i have done 80% water change, the result was still like that!!! Anyone please help? i dont want to do 100% water changes as it can destroy the water of the aquarium!! PLEASE HELP!! i wont ignore advice , instead follow it!! pls T_T!! i have one pregnant here so please help i dont want her to die!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Jerome, read both these articles carefully.
I know from chat that your tank is newly set up, with three (?) Chinese firebelly newts and plants. Can you provide more information please:-
(1) What are the tank dimensions ?
(2) What is the temperature ?
(3) What you are feeding them ?

This is an article on cycling your aquarium :- http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

This is one on water quality :-
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Last edited:

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Jerome, read both these articles carefully.
I know from chat that your tank is newly set up, with three (?) Chinese firebelly newts and plants. Can you provide more information please:-
(1) What are the tank dimensions ?
(2) What is the temperature ?
(3) What you are feeding them ?

This is an article on cycling your aquarium :- Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

This is one on water quality :-
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

5gallon tank, temp would be 20degrees , i offer live tubifex worms , they also have 3 ghost shrimp buddies

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Do a 20-30 % water change every day as it is no doubt cycling. Make sure it is dechlorinated correctly, may be test this water first to see what the nitrite/ nitrate/ ammonia is?
Spot clean religiously, with a small tank this is very necessary. Do not add any other living thing to the tank.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Do a 20-30 % water change every day as it is no doubt cycling. Make sure it is dechlorinated correctly, may be test this water first to see what the nitrite/ nitrate/ ammonia is?
Spot clean religiously, with a small tank this is very necessary. Do not add any other living thing to the tank.

I did its still the same T_T!!! i did a 80% water change today.If i do a 100% water change will it wreck my water?

Kerry M

Reaction score
Hi Jerome

Are you siphoning the water from the bottom of your tank? Sometimes people take the water from the top of the tank and miss the waste and food at the bottom of the tank. When I do water changes I always take from the bottom as this is where much of the waste is.

When you prepare the new water put it in a bucket, mix in the water ager and let it rest. After a rest put it into the tank again gently.

Do you have a turkey baster to suck up the poos? This is a very helpful item to get if you haven't got one already.

I do agree that it would be a good idea to check your tap water with your test kit. I'm not sure if you have done that yet.

I wish you well in the cycling process.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s already "wrecked", Jerome. A 80% water change is way too much and in all likelihood it has reseted your tank.
5 gallons is too small and it will make maintaining adequate conditions a very difficult task. The larger the volume, the better, and since you are already having problems, i´d advice you to acquire a large container. A cheap, 20 gallon plastic box would be a good idea.

Jerome, you really need to do your own research. The information is all over the place and you have been a member of the forums for some time now...you have no excuse for doing this beginner mistakes when you really should have learned otherwise by the constant repetition of advice that fills the newt & salamander help section alone.

I´ll say it again, you have a responsability towards your newts. You need to stop acting impulsively and blindly and harming them further and start doing things properly ASAP.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Hi Jerome

Are you siphoning the water from the bottom of your tank? Sometimes people take the water from the top of the tank and miss the waste and food at the bottom of the tank. When I do water changes I always take from the bottom as this is where much of the waste is.

When you prepare the new water put it in a bucket, mix in the water ager and let it rest. After a rest put it into the tank again gently.

Do you have a turkey baster to suck up the poos? This is a very helpful item to get if you haven't got one already.

I do agree that it would be a good idea to check your tap water with your test kit. I'm not sure if you have done that yet.

I wish you well in the cycling process.
Hi Kerry i have an aquarium siphoner and used that but its hard to clean cause the dirt are under the leaves and rocks , hope you understand , I used a cycled water from my other fish tanks , Well i think i have to clean the water again and siphon the dirt.Will a 10gallon be fine? i have my fire belly toad in my 10gal tank atm , just wondering can i mix them? Oh and Kerry i have tested the tap water it was all fine. So all i need is to find a big plastic box lid , i have a container already.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
It´s already "wrecked", Jerome. A 80% water change is way too much and in all likelihood it has reseted your tank.
5 gallons is too small and it will make maintaining adequate conditions a very difficult task. The larger the volume, the better, and since you are already having problems, i´d advice you to acquire a large container. A cheap, 20 gallon plastic box would be a good idea.

Jerome, you really need to do your own research. The information is all over the place and you have been a member of the forums for some time now...you have no excuse for doing this beginner mistakes when you really should have learned otherwise by the constant repetition of advice that fills the newt & salamander help section alone.

I´ll say it again, you have a responsability towards your newts. You need to stop acting impulsively and blindly and harming them further and start doing things properly ASAP.
Hi Azhael i have many big containers here but it isnt transparent but opaque i know it can live there , but I need a lid , as they can escape...... If its ok then how can i prevent them from escaping? Just that cant use my ten gallon cause my fire belly toad are there.Well i can use a big plastic box but i dont have a lid D: .... So here's the tank atm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61718568@N06/8627658404/in/photostream
By tomorrow i will start finding a lid , hopefully i can find one.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Sorry if I cant buy the supplies like the tank , because im only 14 and still have parents , Im struggling to let my parents buy me some stuff...But we have a stock of plastic containers and just lacks a lid.Oh and btw i dont even have a place to place a 20gal tank...But a 10gal plastic container is fine... OH i really need a lid
PLS understand me , my parents wont give out money just to buy a tank! D: pls understand me T_T

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kerry i have an aquarium siphoner and used that but its hard to clean cause the dirt are under the leaves and rocks , hope you understand , I used a cycled water from my other fish tanks , Well i think i have to clean the water again and siphon the dirt.Will a 10gallon be fine? i have my fire belly toad in my 10gal tank atm , just wondering can i mix them? Oh and Kerry i have tested the tap water it was all fine. So all i need is to find a big plastic box lid , i have a container already.

Jerome, have you read any of the links provided? All the information is there.

No, you can not can not mix them.

A 10 gallon is still too small for the three newts, I hadn't appreciated how small your tank was :eek: As Azhael has said, a bigger tank would be much better, for all the reasons that he stated. The tank/ container does not have to have clear/ opaque sides, it is the size that matters, and obviously a secure lid too. Does the current tank have a lid?

I appreciate and certainly hope you want to do your best for your animals, but if you are unable to provide the basic housing for your animals then they may best passed to someone who can.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Jerome, have you read any of the links provided? All the information is there.

No, you can not can not mix them.

A 10 gallon is still too small for the three newts, I hadn't appreciated how small your tank was :eek: As Azhael has said, a bigger tank would be much better, for all the reasons that he stated. The tank/ container does not have to have clear/ opaque sides, it is the size that matters, and obviously a secure lid too. Does the current tank have a lid?

I appreciate and certainly hope you want to do your best for your animals, but if you are unable to provide the basic housing for your animals then they may best passed to someone who can.
Hi bella , i finally got a 30gal box ,and also the lid i use is an organizer, and it was a cover but it has thick holes and my only problem is it has area which cant be covered , if i cover it then my hose cant fit in.Is there anything else i can do to prevent escaping?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi bella , i finally got a 30gal box ,and also the lid i use is an organizer, and it was a cover but it has thick holes and my only problem is it has area which cant be covered , if i cover it then my hose cant fit in.Is there anything else i can do to prevent escaping?

There are many things you can do. Have a look through this article: Caudata Culture Articles - Preventing Escape .

Please ensure you read through it carefully.

donpool

Reaction score
i dont think u have to cover the tank as long as there is enough allowance from the top. also, you should have a place for them to stay (a land area, a dock, floating plants OR driftwood/stones), in case they dislike the water

JoshBA

Reaction score
One thing you might want to think about is the water quality of the water from your tap. Ammonia and nitrite may be present in your tap water even before you put it into the aquarium. If so, I don't know exactly where it would come from; I know people in agricultural areas often have water high in nitrogen. Otherwise live plants could be beneficial as they help absorb ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1