Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White fungus on gills?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I moved my axolotl into a 40 breeder (upgrade from 10gallon). I was going to let it cycle on it's own, and had it sit for about a week before I got impatient and bought Seachem "Stability-New Tank Stabilization System." I used it as directed and water cleared up immediately and was good to go. I have a bio-wheel filter with 2 cartridges in it right now, it's up to 50 gallons. I added a bath scrubber/loofa to the filter to soften the water flow.

Yesterday my axolotl was doing a lot of climbing on decorations. He was up in the plants, up on the driftwood... This is unusual for him.

Last night I noticed a white cloudy what I believe is fungus on one of his gills. I vaguely recognize it from reading about it here on the forums but cannot find that thread again.

I have a busy day today so I cannot get my water parameters right now, but if someone knows of a solution off of the top of their head it would be appreciated. I will post my parameters later when I get the chance.

Thanks folks, I'm worried about my little guy.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Water changes, water changes and more water changes until you can get some parameters and hopefully a photo of your Axie and the white cloudy stuff ?

Hope to help more later ..... :happy:

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Wow, sorry it's been a while. I still haven't been able to check my parameters, but after posting I had an "AHA!" moment. The weather has changed drastically in the last week, and I noticed that his tank temp was up to 70F. I took off the glass hood and increased the bubbler's air pressure to get some surface movement on the water. By doing that and leaving it that way I'm able to keep a consistent 65F. I also added 8TBSP of aquarium salt. (As directed on box). With these changes, the fungus fell off of his gill. Unfortunately, it took the gill filaments with it, so he has one bald gill. I'm just glad it didn't spread anywhere else on him. He's not moving around much, preferring to stay next to the filter intake, but he still ate his worm yesterday so I'm not super worried. I took 90% of the decor and plants out of his tank to clean them leaving him with two hiding spots near where he prefers to stay lately.

Doing water changes here is difficult because our water is so high in chlorine it's disgusting. I always struggled with getting water where I need it, even with dechlorinator and letting it sit overnight. Our family friend and plumber also said that the water is so high in chlorine that he recommended we get some sort of filter or something for our personal water supply.

I usually only try to do water changes if I have an ammonia spike because of this. I have plenty of live plants that gobble up ammonia so I've had pretty good luck with that.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Glad to hear the fungus has cleared :D

Perhaps you'll need to do water change anyway to get rid of the salt now. Keep a really close watch on your water quality so the little guy can grow back some gills too.

They say that chlorine evaporates if you leave the water to stand, maybe if you have a spare large bucket, you could prepare your water weekly and let it stand longer ?? That together with the dechlorinator might work (I bought a couple of 5g buckets and keep them filled & dechlorinated ready to go but don't know if you've got space to do same).

Let us know how you get on .....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1