What are on his gills??

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I noticed this starting probably just before I took both my axies out of their tank because of high nitrites(I still don't know what is causing the nitrites but its been about 5days since I took them out and its still at 5ppm.
Echo has black spots on his gills. Texas does not seem effected whatsoever and they both are acting/eating/pooping normally.
They have been in tubs of fresh dechlorinated water(changes and rinsed out daily) for 5days. They were only in the tank just over a week before the nitrite spiked and I took them out.

Any input would be wonderful :) if it is because of the high nitrites, will it heal overtime? They will not be going in the tank again untill I figure out what happened. And the levels go down obviously.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 245
I think it might just be a spot where there is more blood. my leucistics have them but they are bigger and darker. Certain things like that and freckles i have notice come as the axolotl is developing from baby to adult.

I think it might just be a spot where there is more blood. my leucistics have them but they are bigger and darker. Certain things like that and freckles i have notice come as the axolotl is developing from baby to adult.
That is a relief! It scared me since i had that nitrite spike and then that. Though texas was uneffected by it. Thank you :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back