Did I make a mistake getting a new filter?

Annie118

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my axolotl in July 2012 and he was a baby so I figure he is close to a year old now and he is now approx 7 inches long. He was about three or four inches when I got him. He was in a 10 gal tank for a long time with a filter inside the tank.

A few weeks ago I put him in a 20 gal tank. He was in there for two days with no filter then I added a Fluval 206. (I use a 305 on a thirty gallon turtle tank and the h20 is crystal clear)
The output hose has a wadded up plastic plant stuck to the wall in front so the flow is pretty low.

When I put him in the new tank it was with all new water treated with Reptisafe and two big rocks, a piece of slate and a plastic plant with a rock base from the old tank. I didn't wash the rocks or slate or the plant. Also There was about a gallon of the old water added because it was with him in the temp container. The water was a little bit hazy when I added the filter cuz he had been in there a few days without it.

Now a week has gone by and the water is still a bit hazy. I thought it would be crystal clear by now. He has been in there for a week and eating and acting fine but today I notice his gills are curled forward and I never saw him that way before.

I just added a gallon of spring water to his tank.

I would like to add sand because now that the tank is larger the rocks and slate leave more glass on the bottom and his feet slip when he tries to walk on the glass.

There was a little cage-like thing on the intake tube which I removed because I think his tale may have gone in there the first day because are two little on top of his tail but he is swimming fine and no blood. (I had to remove if from the turtles too because their claws were getting caught in it)

so here are my q's...

Why are his gills curled today?

When will the water be clear?

Was two rocks, about 4 inches each, and a piece of slate about 5x8 enough to get the tank to cycle?

Should I worry about the little chips on his tail?

Also the gills on one side are shorter than the gills on the other side. They are nice and pink and I don't see any white spots or anything on them. They have been that way really long maybe since I've had him.

I know there is food on the bottom in the pic but I just fed him some pellets.

axolphoto1.JPG

Here's another pic. (There is a mirror on the wall... it's not 2 axolotls.)

axolphoto2.JPG

Such a handsome, healthy chubby looking boy!

Now, for the nicks on the tail, no problem. Axxies often get them from little bumps and falls in the tank. If he doesn't appear to be in any distress, and they're not bleeding or sore, let them heal. If you're treating your water with Stress Coat, so much the better.
As for his gills, I'm not sure. The Fluval 206 can look after a tank up to 45 Gallons, and you made efforts to minimise the flow. There are tips you can use to reduce it further if you like, like using a household sponge to reduce the flow, a spray bar, or a deflecting nozzle.

As for cycling, I can't tell unless you post your parameters. You've used good substrate to cycle, that's for sure, but we'd need the PH, Nitrate, Nitrites and Ammonia readings to be sure.

As for the cloudy water, I had this problem too. How many water changes are you doing, and how often? Do you 'hoover' after meals and toilets?

The gills may not be as unusual as you think. Some chimeric axxies are born when the egg that produces them is essentially a twin. This means one side of their body develops as one twin would have, the other as the other baby would have. This is apparently quite rare and does result in uneven gill growth. It's not a medical problem, it's just a fairly sound explanation:
See how on the picture below the baby has one side of gills larger than the other? And a little pinker too? That's chimeric.
I can't say why his gills are curled. My own are curled too and she's been away from a filter for a week, but if you want to take measures to reduce the flow in case it is this, they're there. Also, sand - a massively good idea. Some sands also contain nitrifying bacteria which may help your cause.

Hope this helps!
257d1180148145-very-strange-axolotl-color-metamorph-pg.jpg

Awww they are so cute!!!

I feel better about the gill size and the tail now. I know stress coat is for fish but didn't know it can be for axolotls.

I will get the parameters and post them.

I usually pick up what junk I can from the bottom with a net.

Do you think his gills are curled enough for something to be bothering him? It's just that I never noticed them facing front before.

You can see the water is going into that plant and I only see a little bit of movement on the surface and only in that one corner of the tank. Should I have it set up so I can see NO movement? The plant leaves are not moving at all. I am not sure what to do with a sponge.

Thanks for your advice! I like your username. My dad and my son are both Peters:)

BTW does he have only one eye or does it just look like that in the pic? I always notice eyes cuz one of my guinea pigs in blind.

No problem! I don't think the wee baby is blind, I think one side has an albinic eye and the other is darker, but you might be right. The pic is a little blurry there.

Nah to the filter, you still need aeration and filtration in your tank. If the flow feels low, that should be fine. If you're still unsure, here's a few ideas about breaking up the flow from your filter: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ubstrate/89516-these-items-safe-axolotls.html also, some more here: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-to-reduce-the-flow-rate-of-a-filter-581.html

Sometimes I think gills just curl: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...otl/90425-how-much-gill-curling-too-much.html.
If he's not showing signs of stress like darting around the tank, then chances are they just get a little curly from time to time.

Also, don't worry about the Stress Coat, Reptisafe also contains a natural healing agent that restores the Slime Coat and helps prevent infection, like Stress Coat (it's safe for Axxies, but Stress Coat also contains Aloe Vera which can cause unwanted Ammonia spikes if overused). Your Reptisafe seems ideal for the job.

If you're getting poop and uneaten food with a net you're also reducing the ammonia. I used to use a net but I use a turkey baster now, as I find that a bit easier. It's not that your way is wrong or anything, I just find it easier.

How often do you water change? Also, thanks for the name comment. My fiance's name is Peter :)

Last edited:
Also, that sweet baby became Pirate, one of this forum's only Harlequins.
This is her today:

1725d1195676928-very-strange-axolotl-color-metamorph-img_1050.jpg

Well today the water is alot clearer. I guess it just took a little more than a week. He is swimming around sometimes and just chillin on a plant sometimes and h'es eating fine.

I have a question that may be a dumb one... but can I add the washed sand while he is in there? I only ever took him out once when I put him in the bigger tank. I am afraid I am gonna hurt him or cut him. I read you should never touch them cuz they have delicate skin.

No question is dumb :) You should see the corkers I asked when I first joined (look at my profile for proof - THAT was another family member's tank, the tank my Axxie was in for three days before I 'rescued' her, and I was asking if it was a good idea to move her at the time >.< At the moment I wish I could relabel it, 'how not to house an Axolotl' because everything about it is wrong.) But because I asked those questions, Toothless is alive and well today :)

You can indeed move her out if you are worried, I would recommend it partially because even washed sand tends to make the water cloudy for a short time, and partially because it may get in his eyes or on his skin as it falls. Their skin is very delicate and they do have Slime Coats, which is why it's recommended that we don't touch them if we can help it. Most people I know have a halfway tub, which they use to transfer or hold their axxie while they perform basic tasks. I use an old plastic food container, but you can use ice cream tubs, tupperware containers, a clean cooking pan, anything that fits in the tank and allows you to move your baby for the time being. Simply scoop up some water from your tank, then gently float it underneath your axxie, as if you're netting a fish. Lift it up gently from underneath and your axxie should simply slide in. If he or she swims off, follow slowly. Try not to 'corner' them but if you have to, just gently tip the tub sideways and push it under their feet. Sometimes I have to do this with Toothless, but I have to move gently to avoid catching her little toes or gills. If the tub is big enough, he or she can wait in it while you clean. If not, use a spare vessel to keep them safe while you do your jobs.
If you must pick them up, you can gently pick them up from underneath, but I don't recommend it only because they are easily stressed, need water to feel safe, and it depletes their slime coats. You might also have something on your hands that might contaminate their skin.
I really recommend a halfway tub or vessel, and your axxie will get used to the tub, sometimes swimming in when they see it. Since her daily water changes Toothless swims in and out of her tub quite often, as she knows it's a good thing. You might have already done all this before, if so, sorry, I'm not sure how you moved him before.

Oh no! Pirate :( I thought something was wrong with my post when I wrote it, I meant 'this is her as an adult.' Did she produce any babies like her in the end? I hope she lived a long life. The last post I saw was one from when she was larval, and her owner had spotted that she was unusually coloured and chimeric. I had no idea she had passed on!

Pirate spawned LOTS of babies.

So sorry to hear about Pirate. How old was he?

I have a seachem ammonia and ph alert in my tank. The pH says 8.2 so I am worried it may be higher because that is the top of the scale. Would adding prime fix that? or should I add some thing else?

Thanks again!

She was just a few years old.

What's the pH of your source water? Prime won't fix your pH.

The seachem pH alert is the color of the highest one which is 8.2... but I was wondering if that color is as dark as the indicator will get and maybe the Ph is even higher.

I'm glad Pirate had lots of babies, wish she had lived a few years longer though.

Hmm...8.2 is kinda high. This site recommends a PH of 6.5-8, and although axolotls can be very tolerant of PHs, it can eventually affect your ammonia readings too, which are mega-important: Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Can you test your water readings and post the results? That would help massively.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back